Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Long draw lengths >

Long draw lengths

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Long draw lengths

Old 08-01-2005, 06:31 AM

Default RE: Long draw lengths

I thought Oneida Eagle made bows with super long draws like 33"...maybe even 34"

??? I could be wrong...

If I recall correctly, they are made under a different name now.
C.P. Oneida and I think there was another name for a while.
Old 08-01-2005, 12:50 PM

ORIGINAL: Arthur P

Designed for the average smurf.

The near total disregard for long draw archers is one of the many things that convinced me to return completely to traditional.
Hey now, resemble that first remark. And the second comment, it used to be the other way around. In 2000 I could not find a bow I liked that would fit me at my draw length without going to a youth model or something. Now most of the bows are offered in 25 or 26 inch draw lengths. Unfortunately you tall guys are suffering for it. And realistically I still can't find exactly what I want without spending a butt load of money. I would love to have a low reflex or deflexed riser bow with around 37 inches of ATA and 7 or 8 inches of brace. Unfortunately the one or two bows that fit that at my draw length are waay more than I can afford or willing to spend.

Paul
Old 08-02-2005, 04:47 AM

You reckon 99.99999999% of us have either Shaq's name recognition or bank account? Fame and money is what got his bow built.
LOL, no I'm not that naive. Certainly few, if any of us have either his recogition or bank account. Fortunately, neither are required for most special bow orders. I know a few people have recieved special order bows at unusual drawlengths. All that is required is more money. Fortuantely, you don't need Shag's bank account or even a boat load of it. In fact, a couple years ago, I know that Diamond made a special order for a local shop, and didn't charge a dime more for it. Even so, it certainly would not be considered price gouging to charge more for a bow that is not stock. There are additional costs to the company to produce a longer non-production bow.

Old 08-02-2005, 08:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

Paying extra for custom work is a given. Getting the company to consider the project in the first place... That's where the problem lies. It's easier for someone like Shaq to arouse a little enthusiasm for a custom project than it is for someone like Straightarrow or Arthur P.[&:]

Old 08-02-2005, 09:48 AM

It's easier for someone like Shaq to arouse a little enthusiasm for a custom project than it is for someone like Straightarrow or Arthur P.
Fortunately, my drawlength is only in the area of 29". Being average does have some advantages. However, I somewhat regret not being one of the first chosen for most pickup basketball games when I was a youngster.
Old 08-02-2005, 11:50 AM

you need to go to the web sites and look there are alot more companies that have long draw bows now hoyt,martin,mathews,onida,pse i think, -and i want to rant a little- why is it every time a guy with a true long drawputs up a postsome one allways says, that cant be right he must be over drawn, there are a few of us out there ya know....
Old 08-03-2005, 07:37 PM

ok my 2 cents worth i dont have that long just 32 with no loop about 31 with loop lucky me the pro shop know how to get the extra inch or 2 but i am with you i though bowteck was working on this ...
Old 08-05-2005, 07:24 PM

Matthews made Shaq his bow. I know the guy that sold it to him. His DL was either 34 or 36, cant recall.
Call Matthews, they should make one up for you.
Old 08-05-2005, 08:18 PM
Boone & Crockett

This is one of those rare times when I feel small compared to others...with my "dinky" 31 inch draw length. The only other time these days is when my 6'6", 365 pound neighbor pulls out his 34 inch draw length Parker and shoots out back.

Designed for the average smurf.
...and, Arthur, that comment had me laughing quite loudly.
Old 08-06-2005, 08:07 AM

My brother in law works for Mathews in Sparta and when he took me there they told me that they couldn't do it. Said they couldn't make a limb that can absorb the massive amountof forces that will be exerted on them.That was about 2 years ago. Shaq's bow was manufactured for a cost of $5100 plus reduced cost of using him in their ads. I don't have $5100 or the advertising ability that Shaq has. Maybe I should check again.