Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Motorola T-5950 Talkabout Radios

Old 07-24-2005, 11:13 AM
Typical Buck

Default Motorola T-5950 Talkabout Radios

I have a set of T-6220's andlove them. I have made a deal to purchase a set of new T-5950's five mile range. (I understand the line of site limits)
What I have read thus far indicates that a costly GMRS FCC License is required. Motorola tells me that this applies to just a few chanels (something like 1 thru 8).
Does anyone on the forum have these units and if so can you explain more about this license and it's requirements.

I can't see how an $80.00 + license fee is necessary in the hunting field.
Old 07-24-2005, 12:31 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Motorola T-5950 Talkabout Radios

From what I understand. Certian channels are designated to "family" use. Check FRS "Family Radio Service"? Last time I searched them they listed all the freq that could be used.
Old 07-24-2005, 04:27 PM

The GMRS bands are much stronger (in wattage) and carry much further than the family bands. The FCC just has to regulate the higher strength bands thus the fee. I have some of the older Talkabout Distance DPS from Motorola I am planning to sell. They have very, very little use on them, but they are GMRS radios and require the license. I paid $179.00 for each unit, and have 4 units. I have headsets with most all of them, and they all have the rechargeable batteries with them as well as the battery tray that accepts 6 AA batteries should you run out of the rechargables in the field. It's a nice backup feature. I am selling all four units for $200.00 plus shipping if anyone might be interested. These are top rated units, I just never had the chance to use them much.
Old 07-26-2005, 07:39 AM
Boone & Crockett

In a nutshell, GMRS radios operate over much larger areas and thus require a license for usage. The license cost is $80, is good for 5 years and covers everyone in your immediate family. When you receive your license you will be assigned a call sign and should announce that call sign anytime you begin your initial transmission and then again every 15 minutes if it is a continuous conversation.

Most of the hybrid GMRS/FRS units on the market today require a GMRS license available at www.fcc.gov . Just because you use an "FRS frequency or channel" on the unit does not exempt you from needing to obtain the license. The radio is type accepted as GMRS and thus requirese the license.

In truth, most folks that buy the hybrid radios don't buy and don't care about the license and are thus breaking the law. Chances of them being caught..........very little considering the sheer number of these types of radios out there and their limited range. But if somebody causes enough trouble with one then......

Hope this helps some. Check out www.popularwireless.com for more info.