HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Technical (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical-20/)
-   -   opinions on pendulum sights>? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical/104516-opinions-pendulum-sights.html)

switchbackboy24 07-02-2005 07:53 PM

opinions on pendulum sights>?

hey guys i wanted yalls opinon on the pendulum sights for a mathews switchback...i am goin to be hunting out of a tree stand and if u no any good pendulum sights let me kno them to...another question...would u go with pendulum or regular pin sights in my case?

DaveC 07-03-2005 04:51 AM

RE: opinions on pendulum sights>?

I've been shooting pendalums for the past ~ 7 years and just this year have made the switch to a single pin slider. (Vital bow gear, proslide)
Not being able to just point and shoot is going to be a hard transition and who knows what sight will be on my bow after this season. If things don't go my way with the sliderI will switch back to a pendulum in a heartbeat.
The latest version I moved to my back-up bow is a Savage Pendulum with a secondary pin and tritium primary pin. I don't really care for the way the secondary pin hides in front of the post for the primary, but aside from that the normally only come w/ 1 pin anyways ( the secondaries are special order).
If you go with a savage (great sight) make sure to get one that has the steel sight guard. the pivot points are in the guard and my steel model is quieter than the plastic housing model Iused to have.

With todays speeds the pendulum has lost favor with a lot of hunters who have just switched to a single pin setup. Time will tell for this guy.

Good luck with your decision.

WBowhunt 07-04-2005 04:39 AM

I spent a couple years using a pendulum , actually tried a couple different types. hoping it would give me the edge to not have to worry about yardage. But I found that all summer I practice from ground with pins. Then about a month before season. I start to do some shooting out of the tree. So one year I decided to leave on my pins instead of switching to the pedulum. I placed about 8 ballons tied with string to branches ( Just to keep them from blowing away) at all different yardages. Figuring the ballons were blown up to about the size of a deers vitals. I then climbed the tree and started putting my 20 Yd pin cenetered on every ballon and fired away... I found that between 10 and almost 30 yards I still hit the ballon. ( Notnecassarily center ) but still hit it. Which to me what enought to knowthatchanging out pins to pendulum, was not worth the effort. And I now do not have to worry about another moving part that can fail ( Which in all honesty is what started my little experiment... The year before I was hunting on a cold damp morning and noticed that the pendulum was not really moving. It seemed to have moisture in it and the cold was freezing it in place. I have to keep ensuring it was loose. Just one less thing to worry about.

rybohunter 07-04-2005 08:02 AM

I'll toss out another boost for hte savage pendulum. I like mine and its quiet. The pendulums really help me just be able to point and shoot, no pin adjusting or guessing. They seem to help me out at real close ranges.

Len in Maryland 07-04-2005 08:55 AM

As Chuck Adams once proclaimed in an article he wrote, and I totally concur, "Pendulum sights are useless in hilly or mountainous terrain." Think about it.;)

Deleted User 07-04-2005 12:25 PM

[Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]