Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Kenetic Energy

Old 07-02-2005, 11:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Kenetic Energy

i am shootin a high country tss which is made to shoot light arrows
But they will not warrant the bow if you are not using their speed proarrows which they say is spined right but from what I have heard they are a very fragile arrow. I think Rack tested some a while back but I could be wrong on that

i am using goldtip ultralight arrows
To get Gold Tips that light you are way under spined and in danger of having an arrow explode on release which is not a very pretty sight so I hope you have good medical insurance.

My advise is dont go below 5 grains per pound of draw weight for your own safety in otherwords get that arrow weight up to 350 grains.
Old 07-02-2005, 12:18 PM

Try here http://www.archeryhq.com/kin.htm
Old 07-02-2005, 01:50 PM

a high country dealer told me others where shooting this arrow with the same bow. i have probably had around 350 shots out of it and has preformed fine.

i am probably gonna switch to the speed pro arrows when i find them, but the goldtips shoot perfect so far
Old 07-02-2005, 02:36 PM

They will probably handle the lighter arrows, especially if your draw length is under 30 inches. However that does not mean it is good on it. Shooting a light arrow takes a toll on a bow. It causes a lot of stress and vibration. Not too good on your string and other things.

Remember alot of guys that compete and shoot ultra light arrows and super fast speeds do not buy thier equipment or keep it very long. And they do regular maintenence to it. So they don't care how much abuse it takes. Sort of like a race car.

Paul
Old 07-02-2005, 03:19 PM

forgot to account for the insert
arrow is 29inches long shooting 5.7 grain per inch =165.3 +55 grain broadhead=220.3+ 25insert+15for 2inch vanes
total arrow weight is around 260.30Grains. This is the hunting setup
the target 165.3+100+25+15= 305.3 grains

hunting setup KE is 68
Old 07-02-2005, 04:13 PM

You forgot the nock as well. A 55 grn broad head? Where did you find something like that? I have never seen them under 75 grns. I'd be curious to see what your arrow actually weighs on a scale.

When you gave your numbers I thought that was the actual weight of the arrow, not estimated. Is the speed a verified number as well from a chrono, or an estimation?

Dude, I just did some checking. What is your actual set up. Verified draw weight and draw length. Let me see if I have this correct. You are shooting a Goldtip ultralight Pro target arrow with 5.7 grns per inch of weight. That means you are shooting a 600 spine arrow at 29 inches out of a 70 lb bow with probably 29 inches of draw. Who sold you this set up? That is waaaaaaaaaaay wrong, like dangerous wrong! You should not shoot that arrow out of your bow any more. According to Goldtips chart it spines for a 30 lb bow at that length, and thier charts are notorious for being off on the weak side.

Not to mention the set up you listed is 3.4 grn per pound and would have an FOC of 6 percent. And if you are talking about a 55 grn nib point you would not use an insert with that, so the arrow would be lighter than you figured. That is one of the worst arrow set ups I have ever seen, not to mention just not safe.

Your post gets confusing at the end, are you talking about having a different set up for hunting where you are using a 100 grn head? If that is the case your spine will be even weaker yet. Not too mention it will tune completely different than the target set up. And with that spine and those small vanes with a 100 grn broad head I doubt it will tune. Maybe with mechanicals, but I doubt they will function too well.

If this is really your set up you need to seriously re-think it and change some things. If a shop set you up with this I want to know the name of it. I never want to shop there, or have any one I know shop there. And if you purchased them off the internet yourself, well that is exactly the reason I urge people so hard to go to a shop to get set up.

Paul
Old 07-02-2005, 04:21 PM

Ok I went to High Country's site and checked out the speed pro arrows, and I saw the 55 grn broad heads. So I guess they do have them, I have never seen anything like that before though. They look like Ultimate Steel heads, so they should work pretty good.

However there is a big difference between the goldtips and the speedpros. The speedpro's are actually a tad heavier and have much more spine. If you want to shoot that light of an arrow get the ones made for your bow, not the goldtips

Paul
Old 07-02-2005, 04:32 PM

i got the speed from a chrono

the goldtips are 5.7 gpi
if you look at the test on the chart it says the speed pro's are 5.50gpi ,
Old 07-02-2005, 04:47 PM

shouldnt the arrows hit funny if the arrow is underspined?
Old 07-02-2005, 10:09 PM

Ok, your right about the weight, I must have got them turned around when I was typing it. I was looking at a lot of data though. The weight isn't my main concern though. It is the fact that if you are shooting the 600 spine goldtips they are way underspined for your bow. And I would guess that would void your warranty as well. They say you can shoot that bow with light arrows, but not arrows that are spined incorrectly for it. A weaker arrow does not give as much resistance to the force applied to it and will flex more. This is just like shooting a lighter arrow.

As far as if the arrows will hit funny, well that is a subjective thing. How exactly are the arrows you have set up? First of all it depends on what you consider good groups and at what distance. I don't have any trouble grouping weak spined arrows if they have enough FOC and have target tips on them. Especially at 20 yards. At longer yardages they get a bit trickier to shoot and are not as forgiving.

I can even get weak arrows to paper tune right out of the bow if I dink with them enough. I doubt you would get them to bareshaft tune though. And I find it highly unlikely they will fly worth a darn with fixed broad heads on them. You might get them to group ok (maybe) but I bet they will not impact any where near your field points. I'm talking feet, not inches. You can get a way with a lot on a target arrow at 20 and 30 yards if you have good enough form and adequate FOC and fletching. However fixed heads are much more sensitive.

Even if they do fly ok for you, I am more concerned that you will injur yourself, someone else or damage your bow. There is a good chance one of those arrows could snap when you shoot it. And when it does your bow may go with it. I would hate to be the one standing next to you when it happens.

I'm not going to argue the point of shooting light arrows with you, that is your decision. I know many others that do it as well. I have even shot pretty light arrows for my set up before (nothing like what you are doing though). Is what we are telling you is if you are shooting the arrows we think you are they are absolutely the wrong arrows for your set up and you should quit shooting them and get the correct ones. If you want to shoot light arrows get the ones that are spined for your set up.

If you could see a slow motion video of what your arrow looks like when you launch it and it hits the target you would crap your pants.

Paul

Quick Reply: Kenetic Energy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.