HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Technical (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical-20/)
-   -   Patriot Noise on Draw Cycle..... :( (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical/103757-patriot-noise-draw-cycle.html)

Rick James 06-24-2005 08:46 AM

Patriot Noise on Draw Cycle..... :(

So my Patriot just started to make a creaking noise in the first 6" of the draw cycle. It is not super loud, but easily heard from a few feet away. This annoys the crap out of me. I checked the limbs carefully for cracks and could not find anything there, but haven't had the time to rip the bow apart and check bearings and limb pockets. I really don't want to rip it apart as I just got the thing all tuned perfect and shooting better than it ever has (shot several 3" and 4" 50 yard groups last night w/ it ;) )and was wondering if anyone has seen this and if it can be fixed by simply lubing the bearings without taking it apart? If so, what to lube with? The sound really sounds as if it is coming from the idler wheel, not the limb pockets or cam.

Also, does anyone know if the parts kit that you can buy off their site includes bearings? Anyone know what the bearings cost if they do indeed need to be replaced and aren't included in that kit?

Any suggestions on other things to replace while it's ripped apart so I don't have to do this again?

elkaddict 06-24-2005 10:04 AM

RE: Patriot Noise on Draw Cycle..... :(

One of my Patriots (a 2002)was making a clicking noise noise about half way through the draw cycle. I found that by cranking down the module screws, the problem was significantly reduced (although not entirely eliminated). Two months ago, I had the cams disasembled and regreased. I have had no noise since then. I don't know if it was 1 or two problems but that combination of fixes took care of the problem. If your problem continues, I'd email Pat at tech services at Bowteck. In my experience, he has be very responsive.

gibblet 06-24-2005 06:36 PM

mine was doing that too, but only when it was cold - like the first 2 shots. i was told to put a little lube oil on the top axle, but when i backed her down to 60 it quit.

Cougar Mag 06-25-2005 06:48 AM

All good advice. Although I don't own a Bowtech, is it possible you may have a bent axle? In almost all cases of similiarity to yours the bow had a bent axle and not all were easily identified.

Rick James 06-26-2005 08:14 AM

I really don't think this is it, last time I put a string on it (2-3 months ago) I pulled everything and checked axles etc and they were good then on a known flat surface. I am thinking however of getting the Bowtech parts kit and replacing them for the hell of it if I have to pull it apart for this noise.

DaveC 06-26-2005 02:54 PM

I had what reads like the same noise on my 04 Pat when it was under 6 months old. The cure my pro shop performed wastaking the limbsoff and lubing pockets. I saw him touch up one of the edges with a small file while he was at it.

It worked and hasn't creaked since. There was no way I could have hunted with that noise existing and relied on my back-up bow for the 1st 2 or 3 hunts of the season until the shop opened and i could get it cured.

MN_BOWHUNTER 06-27-2005 10:45 AM

Thepatriot I haddid the same thing. I found that the bushings on the outside of the upper limb that the yoke connects to where making the sound. I pressed the bow and took the e-clips off and put a little string wax between the bushing and the limb and put it back together. No noise after that. I have also heard of the rocker making noise as DaveC said in his post. Hope this helps.

MN_BOWHUNTER