HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Technical (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical-20/)
-   -   String broke while in my bowcase???? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical/103515-string-broke-while-my-bowcase.html)

Browning_1 06-21-2005 04:02 PM

String broke while in my bowcase????

I had not shot my HCA Four Runner or even looked at it since last fall. After hunting season I put it away in my hard case and forgot about it until now.Normally I shoot year round but do to my schedule I couldn't this year. Plus,I was in the market for a new bow anyway and was waiting on that.

Well, last week my Wife suprised me with a brand new switchback for my B-Day (actually a gift certificate for a switchback). Anyway, before going to work I putmy bowcase with old bowin the truck in order to go to the pro shop after workto get measured for the new bow and swap the sights,rest ect....

I get to the shop and talk to a sales person about what I need and explain I will be swapping the accessories on my old bow. I open up the case for the first time since fall and the bow is straightened out and the string is broke. The cable was the only thing holding it together. I just don't get what could of caused this!?!?!? I had the cable and string replaced last summer so the string only had 6 months of very minimaluse. I waxed it religously and checked for nicks or problems in the string often. It looked like the string just ripped apart about an inch from the round top wheel. Defective string???? The bow was notorious for eating up cables around the cam but this was nowhere near the cams. Any ideas??? The serving was still in good shape as well.

I am sending the bow in to have everything checked over by HCA. Then its going on ebay.

KBacon 06-21-2005 04:22 PM

RE: String broke while in my bowcase????

HEAT!!!

Here at Gander Mtn.. I see this quite often.. people store their bows in attics, furnace rooms, ect... where excessive heat melts the strings and they do exactly what you described.

bigbuck270 06-21-2005 04:31 PM

So I take it I shouldn't leave my bow in the truck this time of year?

KBacon 06-21-2005 04:35 PM

Nope!!!

Paul L Mohr 06-21-2005 07:01 PM

Heat and moisture are not good for strings, and direct sunlight is even worse. It's a good way to pre-stretch your strings from what I have heard? I would still think maybe there was some defect in the string though. Or a break under the serving you could not see. Sometimes it happens.

I doubt there is anything wrong with the bow, but it will not hurt to have it looked over, especially if you are going to sell. That is pretty honest of you. Most would just slap a string on it and sell it.

Nice wife by the way!

Paul

driftrider 06-21-2005 07:18 PM

At least this happenedduring the off seasonwhen you have another bow to shoot. Imagine the sinking feeling you'd have had if you had just driven a few hours out to your standat 3am only to open your case and find out your string had snapped and your trip was ruined.If it was going to happen, this is the best time for you.

Mike

gibblet 06-21-2005 08:33 PM

yep paul, i know a few pro-shooters here that put their newly installed strings in the sun. some for even 2 days. these are the 8125 shooters.

ijimmy 06-22-2005 11:45 AM

Do you have fixed broadheads in the case with the bow ? could be the cause .

Browning_1 06-22-2005 12:19 PM

Thanks for the ideas.

No fixed BHeads in the case. The bow was stored in my outbuilding. Heat may have been the cause I suppose.

AllenRead 06-22-2005 12:53 PM

There was an article by John Carrol a while back in Archery Focus magazine that put 140 degrees as the point at which modern string material begins to degrade.

He also pointed out that if you leave a bow in the summer sunlight, the blackpeep site could easily get to 150 degrees in a short time which results in localized weakening of your string.

There are horror stories about limbs delaminating when left in a car or truck in direct sunlight.

Heat is bad for bows. Keep themcool.