Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 The stupid things i come up with! >

The stupid things i come up with!

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

The stupid things i come up with!

Old 06-07-2005, 01:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default The stupid things i come up with!

This is just one of those things that i don't think i've ever heard anyone talk about and i just gotta know!Has anyone ever built a one cam bow with the cam on the top limb instead of the bottom limb(intentionally that is)?Why is the cam on the bottom of all single cam bows being made today?
Old 06-07-2005, 05:58 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: The stupid things i come up with!

pse has done it, but I cant remember the name of the model. It was a few years ago.
Old 06-07-2005, 06:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Storm makes them, see this link
Old 06-07-2005, 07:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

But, Why doesnt anyone else? Is there a real reason behind it, or just tradition or something?
Old 06-07-2005, 07:37 PM
Boone & Crockett

To answer Vic's comments, I think it was one of the Durango models if I am not mistaken. As for exactly why....don't know...maybe something to do with the way a bow behaves when installed with a single cam...that unique reaction typical of single cam bows. Good question though. On the same note, why don't you see any of the typical hybrid cams with the nock levelizing "cam" on the bottom?
Old 06-07-2005, 08:20 PM
Boone & Crockett

Personally I think they should put the cam on the top of the bow.

I have seen more than one bow come into the shop where the hunter was shooting out of a tree stand and when the cam whipped around at the shot it hit the tree stand. While the cam wasn't exactly broken it was definetly bent and ususeable.

You could do it yourself to your own bow if you bought or traded for a left handed cam (right handed shooter). Then you could flip flop the cam and idler and have the string on the correct side of the cables.
Old 06-08-2005, 06:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

I wonder if maybe the bow is harder to handle with the cam being farther away from the grip if it were on the top limb?Len or pinwheel?
Old 06-08-2005, 08:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have seen more than one bow come into the shop where the hunter was shooting out of a tree stand and when the cam whipped around at the shot it hit the tree stand. While the cam wasn't exactly broken it was definetly bent and ususeable.
Even with bows as short as what they've got now? [:-] Some people simply need the word KLUTZ tattooed onto their foreheads.

But, Why doesnt anyone else? Is there a real reason behind it, or just tradition or something?
I think it's probably just because the bow looks odd with that humongous single cam on top and smaller idler on the bottom. The bow winds up looking like Dolly Parton.... top heavy.[8D]
Old 06-08-2005, 01:48 PM

I did that once for a friend of mine. We put a lightning cam on his bow for him, but since he was a lefty, we put the cam on the top and the idler on the bottom. It worked fine. I think the PSE that used to be like that was the scorpion.
Old 06-10-2005, 09:53 AM

One advantage on some bows to the single cam on the bottom is that at full draw, you can rest the cam on your leg and it feels like you have a bit higher let-off. It makes it easier to hold at full draw until a deer moves into position.

However, if you are the KLUTZ that bent your cam, don't try this.[:@]

This doesn't seem like much of a reason to put it on the bottom. I suspect it is simple marketing. The bow companies produce the bows that we will buy. Trying something new is expensive & risky for them.