Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

winners choice

Old 06-06-2005, 07:33 PM

Default winners choice

Been reading on other forums about the Switchback and winner choice strings loosing speed. Any truth to this? thanks for all...........Mitch
Old 06-08-2005, 02:12 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: winners choice

I have winner's choice on my switchback and love it. I have not had any decline in speed with mine at all!
Old 06-08-2005, 04:39 PM

Thanks for the reply. I did put on a WC and gained about 2ft/sec. So far so good.
Old 06-08-2005, 10:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Let's do this right. Winner's Choice what? In other words what material are you asking about. Almost all string makers prefer a certain material but will make strings with what you want. Some material is faster than others. Now if you're talking about a string made of BCY 8125, which is pretty standard, then you may gain some speed.

I got my string and cables about a month ago and headed for the shop. I chrono'd the bow at 272fps. Then went and changed the rigging and set the bow to the same specs and checked the speed again. The gain was 11 fps, more than I expected. My factory rigging was two weeks old and made of Brownell UltraCam.
Old 06-09-2005, 04:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: BGfisher

I got my string and cables about a month ago and headed for the shop. I chrono'd the bow at 272fps. Then went and changed the rigging and set the bow to the same specs and checked the speed again. The gain was 11 fps, more than I expected. My factory rigging was two weeks old and made of Brownell UltraCam.
That's interesting. What are some of the differences in these two strings? Did you think to weight them before setting it up?
Old 06-09-2005, 09:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: nodog

That's interesting. What are some of the differences in these two strings? Did you think to weight them before setting it up?

Honestly, I couldn't say. Although I've got over 30 years shooting compounds and routinely tear them apart and tinker, I'm a bow technician and not strings. It's probably the one aspect of archery that I've never gotten real involved in, sorry to say. I do know that most aftermarket strings are much better than fatory so I always replace them. I've only ever used Prostrings and recently went to Winner's Choice ( I get them really cheap).

A couple other things that I noticed quickly are that because the strings are prestretched there was very little break-in time. About 20 shots was all. My peep rotated just a tad during this time but not enough to adjust it. And it doesn't rotate whatsoever now.

These WC's are made of BCY 8125, which I know is a bit quicker than UltraCam, but I never dreamed 11 fps. I expected upwards of 6 fps. I don't know, maybe the amount of twists has something to do with it. Lighter center serving.

Let's just say the results were pleasing.
Old 06-09-2005, 11:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

I thought it was the "exclusive string-building techniques" that are used by winner's choice that sets them appart. But what do I know, I never used them before, or ever really plan to. But from what I hear, thay are darn good strings.
Old 06-09-2005, 12:23 PM
Typical Buck

I still have the factory zebra twist on my Legacy, but I think my next string will be a Winners Choice.
Old 06-10-2005, 05:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

Let's just say the results were pleasing.
Yep. 11 fps. That a lot of ground
Old 06-10-2005, 06:02 AM

WC is a great string. In 8125, it is fast. No doubt. I shoot dual cams and have my cables made of 452x and string made of 8125.

Quick Reply: winners choice

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.