Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Hey shop owner

Old 05-24-2005, 11:43 AM

Default Hey shop owner

Do you feel it is rude when a guy will go out of town to buy a bow because it is cheaper and you have had incidents with the local shop owner. Should the customer expect to be able to go into the local shop who is a dealer in the bow bought and be able to ask questions and request warranty type work/concerns without any grief. I might add the customer has bought items and shot at the local shop quit a few times. For lack of better words, money has been spent in the local shop.
Old 05-24-2005, 11:57 AM

Default RE: Hey shop owner

IMO, dont expect the owner to go out of his way for you irrespective of whether you spent money there or not. You may have saved a few bucks, but the service you have probably lost isnt worth it. Doesnt really matter whether the owner is a dealer of a specific brand, if you have a warranty issue he is quite entitled to send you back to the place you bought it. (Unless being a dealer has certain conditions attached which I very much doubt??) I believe thats part of the sale agreement, that the owner will take care of any warranty issues pertaining to bows that HE himself has sold. On the other hand, some will help you with a smile on their face.
My advice, for what its worth, go and discuss it with the dealer and explain your situation, at least you will know where you stand with him or her.
And I use the word "you" rather liberally, no offence if it wasnt.
Good luck
Old 05-24-2005, 08:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

It's a strange world. No, the guy should not be rude, they are salespeople, you can't sell being rude. He should look at the situation wondering why you did not buy from him, regardless of cost. The simple truth is he did not cause you to buy from him and being rude will not cause you to buy from him in the future. Wonder why.

It is great that we are so prosperous that we can be picky about who we want to do business with. It's his business and can do what he wants. You don't like it, go some where else. If he wants to run his business into the ground because of his principles good for him.
Old 05-24-2005, 09:35 PM
Typical Buck

I don't think he should be rude.. but don't be suprised if you are charged labor for working on said bow... be it setup or warranty work. And maybe if you bought the bow from him.. the services would be performed free of charge.. but many will buy online (ebay.. ect) or at another shop and bring the bow in wanting setup/warranty work free of charge.. Like they are entitled to it or something.
Old 05-25-2005, 05:38 AM

I'm not sure if bow shops are paid for labor on warranty work. I suspect they are not. If you want free labor, I think you'll have to send the bow back to the manufacturer or depend on the good business sense of the shop where you purchased it. I highly doubt that a dealer in that brand has any obligation to work on that bow for free. If you didn't buy it there, the shop isn't likely to want to work on the bow for free. It's real difficult to put food on the table if you aren't compensated for your work.

If I was a shop owner, I'd wonder why the bow was bought elsewhere and why that shop wasn't also getting the service call on the bow. I'd say if the shop didn't make the sale, one should not expect them to work on it for free.
Old 05-25-2005, 06:52 AM

This subject was just covered extensively on another forum. Needless to say, there are a lot of misinformed buyers out there.

Warranty is a written statement by the 'Manufacturer' and is not part of the 'contract' with the PRO Shop or Dealer. Even when we're noted as "Authorized Repair Centers", we're authorized to do the repair and authorized to charge for our time.

How much warranty work we accept is NOT an obligation, but a judgement call based on extenuating circumstances.