Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 crushing carbon shafts w/ pliers >

crushing carbon shafts w/ pliers

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

crushing carbon shafts w/ pliers

Old 05-20-2005, 05:39 PM

Default crushing carbon shafts w/ pliers

OK, OK, I know it sounds strange but hear me out

Last week at the local archery shop, I was looking at some of those PSE radial weave arrows. The guy behind the counter says, Hey, try this Kev. He hands me three pieces of arrow shaft from three different arrow brands. (they were the cut-offs from trimming new shafts, about four to five inches long) He then hands me a pair of pliers and says, "crush em', see what you think."

I crushed all three. The first 2 were a GT hunter and a Carbon Force Extreme. I crushed them with out much of a squeeze at all. In fact it was surprizingly easy. I then squeezed the Radial Weave shaft. I couldn't believe it, I had to squeeze the pliers with all I had to crush that shaft!

I realize that we don't put this type of force on a shaft, but it really has me thinking. Just interesting, that's all.

Kev
Old 05-20-2005, 10:03 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: crushing carbon shafts w/ pliers

Well remind me not to use that vice grip arrow rest from now on... [8D]

Really what does this have to do w/ the price of eggs in china? Show me how straigth and consistant they are... and how well they fly.. and how well they hold up to everyday shooting.
Old 05-21-2005, 05:03 AM

KBacon,
It's just an observation I made. The shafts just seem to be extremely durable.
Old 05-21-2005, 06:05 PM

That is very interesting. I went in my room and tried it myself with a Carbon Force Radial Weave 300, an Easton A/C/C 3-39, a Gold Tip XT 35/55, and a PSE Carbon Denominator 200. The PSE Carbon Denominator 200 was easy to crush. The Easton A/C/C 3-39 was tougher, but I could still crush it. I could barely crush the Gold Tip XT 35/55. The Carbon Force Radial Weave 300 was the hardest. I couldn't crush it with one hand. It took me two hands to crush!
Old 05-21-2005, 07:30 PM

Now I know what to do with all of those old shafts I have laying around!!
Old 05-22-2005, 01:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

this could be a new sport
Old 05-22-2005, 01:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

It's a good way to show how strong the arrow is over all. Like if you make a bad shot and hit a shoulder-bone or something, the arrow is probably going to be intact. As opposed to the alternative, (carbon-fibers all over your meat, less penetration, etc.). If the arrow can withstand lateral forces like that, then a typical hunting application won't hurt it at all.

My 2 cents.
Old 05-23-2005, 05:03 AM

I agree bowman15, in fact I bought a half dozen to try because I was so impressed.
Old 05-23-2005, 08:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

The Radial Weaves are very tough, very consistent in regard to weight and spine. Mine fly like darts. I use the 200s for 3D, and 300s for hunting and indoor. I've had a few robinhooded. The arrow hitting the first usually goes in just a few inches. A guy got one of mine at Nelsonville, last summer. He drove my arrow through the target to the vanes, but his arrow was only about 3" into mine.
KBacon, I'm still shooting mine from last summer. Still fly great, and weight varies under 2 gr, arrow to arrow, in the dozen I have left (304.8-306.4 gr). That's completed weight.
Old 05-23-2005, 10:48 AM

pdq 5oh,

Glad to hear your report on these. The Carbon Force Extremes that I'm shooting now are horrible when it comes to weight range. They fly great are very accurate, but the weight range for the dozen is a difference of 18 grains from lightest to heaviest!

Can't wait to pick up my X-Weave predators.

Kev

Quick Reply: crushing carbon shafts w/ pliers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.