Community
Technical Help Post your technical questions here, such as those pertaining to posting, replying, images, etc. DO NOT POST HUNTING QUESTIONS HERE!!!!

Editing Post

Old 01-08-2019, 02:10 PM
Fork Horn

Default Editing Post

I am attempting to edit my post under Leases , but there is no tab for it now, it use to be there....?
Old 01-08-2019, 03:06 PM
Super Moderator

I'm not sure if it's been implemented yet but Admin has talked about limiting moderation of a post to 72 hours. The change or limitation in edit time was designed to stop some members from going back and editing/deleting many or all of their posts when they want to take their ball and go home. The problem it left was many topics and conversations were disjointed or rendered incomprehensible with several key posts removed or edited down to "xxxxx." Based on the dates in your topic, I am assuming the 72-HR rule has been put in place and that prevented you from being able to edit a post over 72 hours old.

I went in and deleted your "XXXX" post from May 2018 so that's not cluttering up your topic. Hopefully this helps some.

Forgot to add; my editing and comments were for this topic (see link below).
Montana hunting leases

Last edited by CalHunter; 01-08-2019 at 03:11 PM.
Old 01-08-2019, 04:37 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the quick reply, I will take a look, thanks again
Old 01-08-2019, 05:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

well I am not so sure on the above there calhunter
as I just went and checked on a post I JUST made and it fully allows me to EDIT and or delete it if I want to? like 20 minutes ago, so NO 72 hours of waiting here??

SO< would this be maybe based on a members history here or other wise deal?

as I can just to to any post I make and click on the EDIT button and make changes?
only way I COULDN"T delete things is of someone quoted what I posted first! then what ever they quoted would be in THERE post no longer mine
Old 01-08-2019, 05:11 PM
Super Moderator

You HAVE 72 hours to make the edit.

After the 72 hours are up, you are no longer able to edit

Does that clarify mrbb??

I think you were saying the opposite. You can edit new posts.

But not posts that are older than 72 hours.

Try to edit an old Post and see what it does

-Jake
Old 01-09-2019, 03:48 AM
Super Moderator

Mthusker, I just checked and confirmed that the 72-hour time limit on editing your posts has been implemented. So you can still edit any of your posts that are less than 72 hours old and cannot edit any posts that are older than 72 hours. If you have a context problem within your topic, you can still PM a mod to get it fixed. Hopefully this clarifies the issue for you and enables you to get your topic set the way you want.
Old 01-09-2019, 04:12 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by mrbb
well I am not so sure on the above there calhunter
as I just went and checked on a post I JUST made and it fully allows me to EDIT and or delete it if I want to? like 20 minutes ago, so NO 72 hours of waiting here??

SO< would this be maybe based on a members history here or other wise deal?

as I can just to to any post I make and click on the EDIT button and make changes?
only way I COULDN"T delete things is of someone quoted what I posted first! then what ever they quoted would be in THERE post no longer mine
I think my first post about editing limits may have created some confusion. I believe I clarified it in my above post but just in case, here goes.

Admin has implemented a policy wherein a member can only edit their posts made if such editing is done within 72 hours of when they first made their post. After a post has been up for 72 hours, a member will no longer be able to edit/remove their posts.

The reason this chance was made is that a few disgruntled members decided to remove or edit all of their posts s)sometimes stretching back years) when they get mad at HNI, other members or for whatever reason they decide. Sadly, these decisions left a lot of topics with severe holes in the posting and sometimes, the deleted posts were the topic starters (Original Poster). As you can imagine, this created a problem for members who wanted to post in a topic and now could no longer respond to a post made by the member making edits/deletions. It also created a big problem for people researching topics as this left topics with holes internally or, in some cases, made it hard to find the OP topic in the first place.

In case you were wondering about which topics/forums, the issue came up with a few members who contributed heavily to the Black Powder forum. That forum is a huge resource for many people and had a lot of technical and very useful information in it for people shooting black powder. It only took a few of the member contributor heavyweights to edit/delete their posts before members complained that they no longer had access to valuable information, sometimes even in the middle of a project.

It's unfortunate that a few members will have some degree of difficulty in updating their topics, such as Mthusker's hunting offer topic. Instead of being able to simply strip out information in his earlier posts, he (and others like him) would have to make a new post clarifying the status of their topic (such as any hunts still available).

The good news is that if you decide to research a topic, you won't find a bunch of maddeningly frustrating holes in it and will be able to find the information you were looking for. Hopefully this clarifies the issue for you, the OP and any other members reading this topic. As always, feel free to PM me if you have further questions or a special circumstance.

Cal
Old 01-09-2019, 04:48 AM
Boone & Crockett

I have the same problem a lot, even after a few minutes often I cannot delete a post because there is no delete button to click on.
Old 01-09-2019, 08:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

yeah that was MY mistake on the understanding
its OLDER post that cannot be edited
I checked and see now the edit option is GONE on them
not a big deal to me , but something new I learned LOL
sorry if I had it backwards and seemed like I was calling out Calhunter, as I wasn't, I was just not clear on things as I am now!
Old 01-09-2019, 08:36 AM
Super Moderator

No worries mrbb. After I read the whole topic, I realized I should have included a little more in the way of how it works and, perhaps more importantly, why it was instituted. Most people don't like change and a lot of times they're right. In this particular case, the change was made to make this place better for members trying to learn or research something.