Technical Help Post your technical questions here, such as those pertaining to posting, replying, images, etc. DO NOT POST HUNTING QUESTIONS HERE!!!!

Please adjust the

Old 09-24-2018, 08:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Please adjust the

Please adjust the ability to edit threads or deleting. Someone should not be able to alter a post or delete a topic they started many days later. Ive seen this happen several times when someone throws a tantrum. Then goes back days, weeks, months later and starts deleting topics they started or posts. Only mods/admins and supporting vendors should have the extended time ability.

Last edited by Gm54-120; 09-24-2018 at 07:01 PM.
Old 10-08-2018, 12:49 PM
Typical Buck

That'd be a pretty big site change. Maybe try to get support for this from other users/mods?
Old 10-08-2018, 05:33 PM
Super Moderator

I can see both sides of the issue. Sometimes we post something and later find out that we were all wrong and would like to have a do-over. And often (if you try to use this sight from a phone), spellcheck twists a lot of the words into something totally different and it's too much hassle trying to fix the misspelled words and wrong words with the phone so you wait until you can get to a laptop or desktop that works with this site. Probably the main reason I rarely use a phone to post on this site and never bother even trying to use a phone to moderate on this site.

On the flip side, the are a few people who decide to leave our fair company and then delete all of the text in their posts. It tends to leave some holes in topics and is more of a pain if they were the topic starter. It doesn't happen too often but once in a while it does.

So I can see both sides of the issue.
Old 10-09-2018, 09:56 AM
Typical Buck

^^^^^^
Me too.
Old 10-09-2018, 10:31 AM
Typical Buck

I was on a site where you couldn't delete post. Annoying. Sometime duplicate, merger posts, or you realize it was wrong, ect.

when you edit a post typically it says edited with time stamp at bottom.

if you quoted post it will still be there.
Old 11-30-2018, 08:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

Well first of all from what im reading on the vbulletin support forum its pretty simple to adjust the post edit time limit. I mean its like a couple minute job.....literally. Is it not similar in this version?
https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/foru...074-time-limit

Secondly because this was not addressed we had a person (who is now banned) delete numerous posts he made. Posts are the property of IB and i see no problem with allowing people to edit their posts unless its just to stir up trouble WEEKS/MONTHS later. Allowing upto a week is more than fair. Allowing more just leaves the opportunity to make a mess of a topic or even a sub forum. The person who did all these deletes/edits flat out stated "i will no longer support this crap hole" in one of his first deletes. His motivation was obvious even though he claimed it was because the forum was slow.
Old 11-30-2018, 08:47 AM
JW
Super Moderator

I may be wrong as I'm not as computer program say as you are. But the said posts would be useless as the author also deleted his photo account. So the posts made no sense as 1. the photo was deleted and 2. said author deleted his text to which the photo supported.
That left no choice but to remove those threads as they made no sense at all.

Also did create a very unorganized messy forum. So all was soft deleted.

JW.
Old 11-30-2018, 10:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

Other than server side caching of photos like in Xenforo software there is no way to deal with deleted off site photo sharing accounts. The only minor consolation is he would also delete any photo links on his own forum and create a mess there that he must deal with. I deleted my photobucket account when they tried the "pay to host". Sadly they brought it back but with watermarks on all the pics.
Old 12-06-2018, 10:03 AM
Typical Buck

It's not the level of effort that's the issue, it's the break with longstanding HN policy about how big the edit window is. I don't see a compelling reason to do it at this time, unless the mods are in favor.
Old 12-06-2018, 08:05 PM
Super Moderator

Out of curiosity, how big or long is the edit window?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.