Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Technical/Forum Help > Technical Help
Not sure what is going on but..... >

Not sure what is going on but.....

Technical Help Post your technical questions here, such as those pertaining to posting, replying, images, etc. DO NOT POST HUNTING QUESTIONS HERE!!!!

Not sure what is going on but.....

Old 08-22-2018, 09:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Bocajnala
I attempted to explain that to my wife, and was promptly moved outside with the chickens.

Now, as much as I enjoy raising chickens, they make for a lousy roommate....

The spam has been a constant point of frustration for mods. It seems that there should be a way to prevent most of it from ever even being able to sign up.

But it's ongoing and constant. Sometime's worse than at other times.
-Jake
I am not an IT guy. So, these suggestions may be easily refuted.....

How about a "pre-forum" forum where new members must post several times over the course of a few days before allowed to post on the other forums?

How about a "not a BOT" popup for new members. Attempt to make them prove they are legit.
Old 08-22-2018, 09:58 AM
Typical Buck

Our registration system already has a captcha. And we already screen new members, giving them very limited privileges before they can start posting fully.

Also there is very much not a spam issue on HN. Hardly any spam at all. Looks to me like our tools are working great.
Old 08-22-2018, 12:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ya your tools are working great for a MAKE IN CHINA piece of crap.

Al
Old 08-22-2018, 01:10 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by alleyyooper
ya your tools are working great for a make in china piece of crap.

:d al
? ?
Old 09-02-2018, 11:25 AM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by IBobi
Our registration system already has a captcha. And we already screen new members, giving them very limited privileges before they can start posting fully.

Also there is very much not a spam issue on HN. Hardly any spam at all. Looks to me like our tools are working great.
Here are the members signed on 3:18 PM eastern time on a Sunday afternoon. No spammers...right

Most users ever online was 3,623, 11-01-2015 at 08:08 AM.
Champlain Islander, backparova1983, BarnesAddict, bookscomphitar1983, carbiformu1975, CLAYBORN, cyofranfonu1981, gemihur, huastzabari1986, Huntley, isespevi1987, JamesUteby, kedgiodumfui1980, lieranfoegee1976, loatwanecin1976, lumfitzketppert1986, moldvarbofa1980, nozentbali1970, ovtilecgui1988, robsiechrisik1979, sterpailifa1973, steve1, tankgerameds1985, urge2hunt
Old 09-02-2018, 11:40 AM
Fork Horn

How is it I don't ever get spam on this site?
Old 09-02-2018, 01:02 PM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by Coastal Mountaineer
How is it I don't ever get spam on this site?
You don't get it the site does. Most days the majority of signed on members are spammers. You are posting on a hunting web site when most of the members aren't hunters but are either spam bots or people looking to sell something. That fact is why there are so few regular contributing members on a site that had thousands just a few years ago and it appears that is OK with Admin. Without real contributing members any web site is dead. 1000 real members are better than 250,000 spammers.
Old 09-02-2018, 01:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by IBobi

I think your definitions differ from many of us. If you look at Champlain Islander's post about all of the spammers logged in as members at 3 in the morning, it's kind of obvious that the system isn't preventing a lot of spammers and the tools aren't working so well. But like I said, it depends on your definitions for the words you used.
Old 09-02-2018, 01:40 PM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by elkman30
I think your definitions differ from many of us. If you look at Champlain Islander's post about all of the spammers logged in as members at 3 in the morning, it's kind of obvious that the system isn't preventing a lot of spammers and the tools aren't working so well. But like I said, it depends on your definitions for the words you used.
That was 3 in the afternoon Elkman....today. Within a half hour they were all gone so I can only imagine the reason why they were on. I suspect one of those blitzes the mods fear is set to launch. I remember dealing with a few of them when there were spam posts in all the forums. It took a few hours to get the site back to normal so the regular members didn't have to deal with it.
Old 09-02-2018, 01:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

3 PM???? I can see why not many Admin or Mods are on at 3 AM but at 3 PM, you would expect at least one to be online. Do they check in every day or just Monday through Friday?

Last edited by elkman30; 09-02-2018 at 02:51 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.