Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Technical/Forum Help > Technical Help
Not sure what is going on but..... >

Not sure what is going on but.....

Community
Technical Help Post your technical questions here, such as those pertaining to posting, replying, images, etc. DO NOT POST HUNTING QUESTIONS HERE!!!!

Not sure what is going on but.....

Old 06-13-2018, 07:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Not sure what is going on but.....

Spammers have been reported and i know that super mods and an admin have been online since the reports. Calhunter has not posted since 5-16 and many of the other mods even longer. Some haven't in only the last 10 days or so.

I find it fascinating that one of the largest owners of forums cant even keep active mods around. I find it even more fascinating that mods that have not been active in ages are still listed as such. Im talking about years of no activity. Not even a single post or login. WTH is going on guys? IB needs to put on their big boy pants and git er done dont you think? Ive visited other IB owned forums just to see if this is wide spread. Its seems FAR worse here yet this forum seems to have more active members. You would think more activity would make it a more valuable asset?

Seems like a pitiful way to run a business to me.
Old 06-14-2018, 07:41 PM
Super Moderator

I can't speak for other mods.

but for myself... Allot of the times I access the site through my phone. This, at least from what I've been able to figure out, limits what I'm able to do as a moderator. So, if I see a large issue that needs handled, then I have to go to a desktop and login (this currently requires going to my parents house and using their computer, as we do not have a regular computer at my house.) If it's a big issue then I try to get time to do this. If it's not, I wait until I'm there anyway.

A second issue(again, at least for me) is the reports that are filled out by members go to my email. I don't check my email daily. No excuses there, I just don't. It's more useful to me if a member PMs me and tells me what the issue is. that way I see it when I logon even if I don't get a chance to check my email.

Last issue is something all of us mods deal with. It's a volunteer position that we choose to do to attempt to help the forum run smoothly. We all have things going on outside of HNI. I worked 74 hours last week, and I have two young kids and a wife. So, not allot of moderating was done. This week I work 48 hours. I'll be a little more active this week.

Allot happens behind the scenes that many never even see. As an example... I banned 7 spammers on 06/08 during about an 8 hour time frame. For every spammer that gets through and posts, allot get caught and banned before they get the chance to post.

We're doing the best we can.

-Jake
Old 06-14-2018, 08:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Bocajnala

but for myself... Allot of the times I access the site through my phone. This, at least from what I've been able to figure out, limits what I'm able to do as a moderator. So, if I see a large issue that needs handled, then I have to go to a desktop and login (this currently requires going to my parents house and using their computer, as we do not have a regular computer at my house.) If it's a big issue then I try to get time to do this. If it's not, I wait until I'm there anyway.

A second issue(again, at least for me) is the reports that are filled out by members go to my email. I don't check my email daily. No excuses there, I just don't. It's more useful to me if a member PMs me and tells me what the issue is. that way I see it when I logon even if I don't get a chance to check my email.

Last issue is something all of us mods deal with. It's a volunteer position that we choose to do to attempt to help the forum run smoothly. We all have things going on outside of HNI. I worked 74 hours last week, and I have two young kids and a wife. So, not allot of moderating was done. This week I work 48 hours. I'll be a little more active this week.

Allot happens behind the scenes that many never even see. As an example... I banned 7 spammers on 06/08 during about an 8 hour time frame. For every spammer that gets through and posts, allot get caught and banned before they get the chance to post.

-Jake
A lot of the problem is the time zones. I've noticed that some spam hits at odd hours, very early morning for the U.S. I'm usually on the site for awhile 6-10 hours earlier than most.
I imagine it can be hard to moderate 24/7.

I can also imagine many have roughly the same yearly routine I keep, spring and early summer are busy. All the stuff neglected during the winter needs to be done and best finished before the hot months.
Old 06-15-2018, 05:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

Spammers
Steel Shot travel distance
Why all the live chat agents need better writing skills?

This wasn't about active mods as much as it is about IB's failure to address the situation. All the spam policing should not be on the shoulders of a single mod or super mod. As an admin for another forum im quite aware of the "behind the scenes" things that come up. This is nothing new for HNI, its been going on for years and little has been done to improve it.

BTW thank you for taking care of Loretta. He is here for 1 reason only......to get views/advertise on his youtube channel. If you ever looked at one of his vids on the youtube site you would see he has tons of "shill" posts. Many of them are from the other guy in his videos and lots from his other youtube channels.

Seriously though, you wont find aluminum ingots just laying in a creek bed.....he is a goof ball trying to make a buck off of youtube views.

Last edited by Gm54-120; 06-15-2018 at 05:42 AM.
Old 06-15-2018, 01:27 PM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by Bocajnala

-Jake
lame excuse Jake. HNI is your family now. You don't need a life outside of us.
Old 06-15-2018, 01:39 PM
Super Moderator

I attempted to explain that to my wife, and was promptly moved outside with the chickens.

Now, as much as I enjoy raising chickens, they make for a lousy roommate....

The spam has been a constant point of frustration for mods. It seems that there should be a way to prevent most of it from ever even being able to sign up.

But it's ongoing and constant. Sometime's worse than at other times.
-Jake
Old 06-15-2018, 02:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

The posts by Loretta did seem odd.
Old 06-20-2018, 09:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

Well, both of those links to spammer i posted are still there. Its hard for me to believe HNI is even remotely serious about dealing with the issue. One of them i think i even reported twice.

I reported one more today which will be my last. I can see im wasting my time using features that are built into the software. I know an admin logged in Yesterday 06:28 PM. If he is too busy to deal with it then so am i.

Last edited by Gm54-120; 06-20-2018 at 09:27 AM.
Old 06-21-2018, 04:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

I have pretty much left this forum for good. I was complaining for some time about all the spam post made here and the owners not being able to put a stop to it. I was bacisly told to just shut The F up.

I belong to outher forums and you do not have to wade thru spam post every day by first time posters on every section. Of course the other forums require one to jump thru hoops to sign up and be a member and prove your not a Bot.

I know mods here who resigned because they spent all their time here getting rid of spam post and spamers themselves.

Why belong to a forum as a mod and not be able to enjoy the postings of members?

Al

Last edited by alleyyooper; 06-21-2018 at 04:26 AM.
Old 06-21-2018, 05:15 AM
Super Moderator

I keep scratching my head and thinking "there's got to be a better way to handle this" (the spam issue) but I'm not a computer guy and I don't know what the answer is.

Believe me, it's as frustrating to the mods as it is to y'all. And it can be very time consuming.

I don't know what the future of this site is . But I try to help at whatever level I can. There are allot of knowledgeable members (including some mods) that rarely post anymore, even though they regularly sign in.

I'd like to think that if all the "regulars" would just start posting regularly again then the forum would be busier and allot of the issues would straighten themselves out . But that's probably just dreaming.

My guess is that the spam hasn't increased so much so as the posts have decreased. Ten years ago there were new posts coming up faster than you could read them and refresh your page.

​​​​​​ Now we might see 5 new posts a day sometimes. Because of that... the 3-8 new spammers each night are allot more noticeable because they outnumber the real posts .

As always, I'm always open to suggestions. Pm me anytime.

-Jake

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.