Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Technical/Forum Help > Technical Help
Not sure what is going on but..... >

Not sure what is going on but.....

Technical Help Post your technical questions here, such as those pertaining to posting, replying, images, etc. DO NOT POST HUNTING QUESTIONS HERE!!!!

Not sure what is going on but.....

Old 06-30-2018, 03:07 AM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by Bocajnala
C.I., as you know.... We've been through this dance before not that long ago as moderators.

There is a disconnect somewhere between moderators and admin on these phantom members signing up. As I'm sure you remember, when we were watching for these profiles to sign up it wasn't uncommon for us to delete 5-10 a day. Easily. And that was just watching the new sign ups... Not even searching the member list. You could probably spend a year searching the member lists.

Mods spent allot of time trying to get these banned, only to be told that they are a non issue, or that they didn't matter unless they post.

I still post new members as I see them sign up to a moderator thread and admin erases them. But that's really only a few every week, as I just don't have the time to be online more. But, as you see, according to admin... These don't matter or effect anything unless they are actively posting spam in the forums.

Even though the "membership" continues to rise daily.... I wouldn't expect the active posters to continue to rise. This of course is old news to you. As you've been through the song and dance previously.

I did see one spam post in the fishing forum today. If anybody noticed anything else let me know and I'll take care of it.

-Jake
Well my mission when I was a mod was to make the site better. I did all I could to achieve that goal but in the end realized that there were too many obstacles standing between me and success. Yes the site is growing we now have 71 more members than just a few days ago. They come in about once an hour on average...almost like on an automated feed. HMMMMMMMmmmmm.
Old 06-30-2018, 05:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yes the site is growing we now have 71 more members than just a few days ago
And 90% or more of the ones ive looked at are just "spam link bots". I check the 'newest member" every time i logon, which is a few times a day. I think ive seen 2 that look like real members.
Old 06-30-2018, 06:37 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Gm54-120
And 90% or more of the ones ive looked at are just "spam link bots". I check the 'newest member" every time i logon, which is a few times a day. I think ive seen 2 that look like real members.

Yes, that is the point that CI and I are attempting to make. There are many of these a day. Mods used to spend time blocking them. Including searching through the member list to find and block them.

Admin is telling us (see the post above) that they don't matter and they aren't concerned about them. They're also telling us that they don't impact HNI at all... It's hard to be motivated to do anything about them when admin is telling us they don't matter and aren't interested in stopping them.

The only spam they are interested in blocking is when spam is actually posted onto the forum.

-Jake

-Jake
Old 06-30-2018, 07:53 AM
Dominant Buck

My opinion is any spam members are detrimental to what we as regular members expect on a hunting site. Some of them are active and post which shows up right away creating aggravation for members while others might sign up and are waiting to post at some future time. The reason for some of the spam profiles are probably to further their own businesses since many have them listed as a link in their sig lines. Others are probably bot activated and serve to increase membership numbers and never seem to post. Others are more sinister and in the past those have created havoc. I have signed on in the morning on several occasions to see the site totally flooded with the same or similar spam posts in almost all the forums. That spam blitz can at times cripple the forums and takes time to remove and ban the perpetrators. I haven't seen this happen for a while but it is shocking when it does. In view of that I take a dim view of any spammer and feel they should be eliminated when seen and software should be initiated to slow the spread of new spammers from signing up. I see spam as a tug of war and when enough of them are members they can have a detrimental effect on attracting real members which are actually the ones who would be most likely to interact with advertisers.
Old 06-30-2018, 11:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

So the Indian post # 49 above isn't spam? Is it just admin spoofing us? Kind of interesting that a mod posts before and after the obvious spam member from India in a topic about spam and doesn't remove the spam. Or maybe the mod realizes he's just banging his head against a brick wall. If that's admin, that's a good spoof.
Old 06-30-2018, 06:44 PM
Super Moderator

Technically, no forum rules were broken. When I checked they had no other posts, and no links in their profile. Probably spam. But no rules were broken, yet. Gotta at least agree that it was humorous.

But this goes back to the time issue. It takes time to log into the mod panel and block them. It's very difficult to do it from my phone, at least for me it is.

So, I would have to go to a computer and take care of the issue .I don't have a Computer . That requires a couple mile drive to my parents. (I know at least one other mod is primarily using a mobile device as well) I'm there fairly often. So it's not too big of a deal. But I'm not making a special trip to ban them.

If they had spammed the whole forum I would make that trip as soon as I was able to and take care of the problem.. But for this? No special trip.

When I get to a computer I'll look into their profile more and make a decision. I see a very limited profile from my phone.

Ultimately, yes I'm making an excuse. But I ran a very hot race this morning, went to an outdoor wedding this afternoon, then to some fireworks tonight. Making a trip to delete that poster today just wasn't high on the list. Sorry.

I'll check it out when I have time.
-Jake
Old 06-30-2018, 06:48 PM
Super Moderator

To clarify a little more... I can delete from my phone. If it's blatant obvious spam then I am comfortable doing that .

From a regular computer I can look into it deeper though . I can search the ip address, see if it matches another member on the forum (someone playing a joke?) I can see what country the ip comes from and then request to have the ip totally banned .I would hate to have an ip banned of a member who was just playing a joke .

So when I have more time to look into it, I will...

-Jake
Old 07-09-2018, 05:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by IBobi
We do not restrict new posters like this, because it has a chilling effect on engagement. The price is a little more spam, and it is worth it.

We already have some restrictions on posting links and photos as a new member. I will review them.
I will explore creating a new usergroup for newbies that does not have a signature. It's not as easy as you describe, and involved more than flipping a switch or two.
Overall, there might be a few things we can do to tighten the spam up a bit, but as has been pointed out, the reason you're noticing a relatively small amount of spam is because the forums are not very active right now, not because there is so much spam. As hunting season returns, you'll notice it less.
Evidently than can still post pics
Sri Ram IAS Indian Economy Notes For IAS Exams
Best SSC Coaching in Jammu and Kashmir
Old 07-09-2018, 05:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

And this one has literally been logged in for days without posting. I see him under members online every single time i log on.
https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/mem...akbakolug.html
Old 07-09-2018, 09:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Does Ibobi know that less people log in during hunting season, not more?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.