Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Technical/Forum Help > Technical Help
 A way to speed up your computer >

A way to speed up your computer

Technical Help Post your technical questions here, such as those pertaining to posting, replying, images, etc. DO NOT POST HUNTING QUESTIONS HERE!!!!

A way to speed up your computer

Old 04-03-2008, 09:34 PM

Default A way to speed up your computer

My computer was slow as heck and I was being bombarded with ads. I got some help from a guy and thought you guys might have the same problem I did. So here it goes.

This is for Windows XP
click on your start menu and go to run
type the words "msconfig"
there should be 6 tabs up on the top of the window
click the startup tab
This is a list of programs that are running when you start up your computer you can uncheck the ones, which you don't need to help the speed of your computer. The ones you really want to watch for are ones with the words ads in them.

This is a list of the ones that I have checked:
HPWuSchd2
ccApp
osCheck
ctfmon
HP Digital Imaging
CallWave

I hope this helps you.

Old 04-05-2008, 07:57 AM

Default RE: A way to speed up your computer

Here is a little suggestion.

HP - Hewlett Packard is a bastard when it come to computers.

They force their software on you when you down load their programs for your printer into your computer.

Me - like a dummy, lent my good computer to my dad - to use while his was getting fixed, because he burned out TWO hard drives.

HP hides programs for other programs to run - while you are using HP programs.

Everything from a reminder to use HP ink cartridges and to order HP supplies to other links that spys on your computer and lugs it down. There are programs in there that even after I removed all the HP programs - I couldn't get their other programs out.

Now my dad is an idiot when it come to computers. He does not know anything about computers and he takes advice from my Uncle - which is a 1960's era Electronics expert. My uncle with good intentions gives my dad advice and my dad deletes program files - not knowing what they are or what they do, and my dad downloads programs off the internet. His favorite words are FREE!

My advice to you is that nothing in this world is FREE and to avoid most programs that are promoted as being FREE.

The reason is because nothing is free, and if they give it to you as free - there is usually a catch.

Download a good Spyware program and use it at least one time a week.
Clean out your cookies and your trash before you run that program and it will clean out most spyware out of your directory before you run new programs on your computer.

Also, use a good scanner tool to keep malicious hardware out of your computer.
Forget about those $80 Wal Mart programs - because by the time that they make the program and sell it to you.
The people with the malicious programs already changed their Malware and it is obsolete.

Pay a good computer technician to work on your computer from time to time and make friends with him / her, and they will keep you in all the up to date programs.

I just use the Free AVG programs that I downloaded off the computer - because that was all I needed for what I do. Mainly check email and chat on forums like this one.

Shutting off programs - because they were lugging down your computer will not fix your computer problems. All it will do is hide your computer problems and make it harder to fix when your problems gets too big to fix with simple patches.

Deleting those problems when they are small - and before they get to be big problems is the right way to solve your problems.
Old 04-06-2008, 10:08 PM

Default RE: A way to speed up your computer

Rifleman it seems like what I did is more or less a band aid. I will have to get in touch with the guy that helped me and see if we can actually fix the problem. I appreciate you taking the time to correct me.