Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Taxidermy
 Judge My Mount ... >

Judge My Mount ...

Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

Judge My Mount ...

Old 06-02-2005, 10:01 AM

Default RE: Judge My Mount ...

To DD and ALL others...
The point at which this post took the nosedive is when folks who were green with envy took cheap shots at DD, etc. Ive judged work all over the country for 15 years, Im considered an expert, like it or not. As such, it was obvious that the mount, which WAS the focus of the original post, is top knotched by any standards, including good clean commercial standards. Knowing Brian Dobson personally, I knew to expect such work from him.

DD, the only, ONLY mistake I saw in this whole silliness was that you were posting this buck on more then one thread, which might lead some to believe that you were bragging. Guess what folks? Taking a trophy and displaying it is ALL about bragging. Its ok. Its an accomplishment. Taxidermy in general is to preserve the memory of the hunt, the accomplishment.

As for those who dont understand guided hunts, again, DD, dont sweat it. We all know the difference between a guy somewhere holding your hand, helping you into a blind in the dark, and whispering over your shoulder when to shoot, and a decent guided hunt. Guided meaning, when you hire someone that knows the terrain, knows the difference in the animals traits, has access to the ground, and can put you in the most likely spot. Anyone can figure out that you increase your odds at success by putting yourself in the right place, whether that be picking the right tree in the right public ground, or planting the correct mix for a foodplot, or researching where and when the best odds of being in the vicinity of a big buck might be. Those who take and laugh at DD are simply unable to afford to go where they too could score big. But theyll sit in some spot nearby, doing nothing to gain permission, and sit waiting like some idiot for a trophy sized buck that doesnt even exist there. Like the kids fishing with a fake pole in a puddle. Whats that, guys? Didnt quite like that analogy? What, you mean not ALL guys who dont go on guided hunts are that way? No kidding, because not all guys who DO go guided are the OTHER way either...Lets be fair here. Id LOVE to do it DDs way, but I cant. But Ill not take shots at him for it. Heck as a taxidermist I didnt take shots at the work, I complimented it. Come on guys, its real easy to just say something positive, or not say something at all.
Old 06-02-2005, 10:22 AM

Well said Bill. You hit the nail on the head.

Hey Doc, with this guys attitude, he won't last too much longer. And like I said before, great deer and congrats!
Old 06-02-2005, 11:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

Bill thank you for your kind words but in all honesty I suupose I bare a lot of the blame for this thread getting out of hand ... I should have been bigger then Moose but I let him get my cockkles up and I appologise to all the users on this forum. However with that being said I cant stand a guy who is just down right rude ... I am a big boy and can handle constructive critisisum BUT someone who is just RUDE REALLY gets my goat. I plan on avoiding anything he post from now on and hopes he does the same with me .. Longrifle thank you for your words also ...its guys like you and Bill that make this forum worth being on ... with that ..THIS subject is closed.

Doc
Old 06-02-2005, 11:44 AM

Thanks Bill I am new to Huntingnet and was starting to have my doubts with some of the threads I have been reading lately. I was thinking I cannot believe the hunting community with everything else against it is treating one another this way. It is people like you, Bill, who truly represent what we all stand for. And DD that was a nice mount!!
Old 06-02-2005, 01:09 PM

Those who take and laugh at DD are simply unable to afford to go where they too could score big. But theyll sit in some spot nearby, doing nothing to gain permission, and sit waiting like some idiot for a trophy sized buck that doesnt even exist there. Like the kids fishing with a fake pole in a puddle. Whats that, guys?

Bill, I know that wasn't aimed at me.....cuz that would be even more foolish in my book than the whole rest of this thread.

And as far as you go Doctor Guideme.....your plan sounds great....just stick to it. ( If you can resist, but I have my doubts)
Old 06-02-2005, 01:44 PM

DD, longrifle, K2SOCO, you know theres going to be some banter back and forth, hunters are no more or less sh*theads than any other walks of life. I know we will all get carried away now and then. But to continue to do so, even as the proverbial ship is sinking, just speaks volumes in this case. I guess sometimes a guy knows he went too far, but cant figure out how to back off with his dignity intact, I dont know.

Either way, DD, lesson learned.
Old 06-02-2005, 06:27 PM

Bill.....seriously, you talk too much. You are the one that started with me, and you just can't let it go can ya.....and a word of advice to ya....if your ship is sinking, i suggest you jump
Old 06-02-2005, 09:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

Bill I am biting my lip .....

Doc
Old 06-03-2005, 01:39 AM

I look at this guys last FIFTY posts, and theyre in the last THREE days, in 2 to 3 hour intervals, and he says I talk too much. Sorry, youre just a tad bit too easy, I feel guilty arguing with you. Guess, what? You win, the rest of us are all wrong.
Old 06-03-2005, 05:06 AM

It's amazing Bill isn't it....and to think I still manage to work 12 hours a day, coach the softball team, and watch the sox games.....Incomprehensible isn't it!!!!

Quick Reply: Judge My Mount ...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.