Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Taxidermy
 antelope mount over night? >

antelope mount over night?

Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

antelope mount over night?

Old 01-20-2005, 09:57 PM

Default RE: antelope mount over night?

2 dumba$$ don't make 1 right!
Old 01-20-2005, 10:07 PM

just because I'm a taxidermist's somewhat "apprenace", I know quite a bit about what animals look like male and female alike! I didn't say anything about using a doe cape now did I? I think not.
Old 01-20-2005, 10:21 PM

lol,
walk into cabelas, or bass pro, or any other sporting goods store and look at there mounts there. they are all different. not every animal has the same charicteristics. like said the horns could be angled differnet. i personaly would be Pi@@ed off if i had a antelope that the horns laid pretty much flat on and when i got it back they were straight up like most other antelope.
Id rather wait a yr and get back my own animal and have it be perfect, and all around awesome, than have to wait 2 days and get one back that doesnt look anything like the animal that i had taken.
Old 01-21-2005, 09:53 AM

I definately would want my own cape
Old 01-21-2005, 01:19 PM

2 wrongs dont make a right, but I sure say that a bunch of well trained and educated folks have chimed in here and those overwhelm the thread starter.

That being said-- manboy-- take the criticism as constructive. I did mounts like yours when I started on my own. They looked bad but were free to my family and friends. I was learning. But I decided if I did it to make money I needed school to learn the ART of taxidermy. I'd suggest that for you also. Especially since you evidently have most of the main steps down. It takes only more time and effort(and having to charge more) to turn out work thats worthy.

You have a golden chance here if you really care about quality and your customers! I quit the trade full time because folks in the rural community would not pay what its worth to have a good mount. And that may be your case. In that case, if you stick with it, you have to do what you are. Taking shortcuts and turning them out as fast as you can. That type of work is cheaper and has to rely on quantity.

Good luck either way. My schooling was some of the best money I ever spent.

Jeff
Old 01-21-2005, 01:24 PM

Cnhntr, you and me are dumbasses, huh? Hahaha, maybe this guy would be surprised to know who us dumbasses are...
Old 01-21-2005, 02:54 PM

Isn't it obvious there is very little knowledge with manboy if he doesn't recognize your name Bill!. I'm not sure about cnhntr-- don't have his name.

Thanks for posting here. Everyone can use help at times. I've been doing this since 79 and still run into interesting situations......

Nope ya'll are not the the DA category.

Jeff
Old 01-21-2005, 04:25 PM

rost, acually i'm a girl but that's ok
Old 01-21-2005, 06:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

I really am not impressed with the quality of those mounts either. Just poorly done.
Old 01-21-2005, 06:04 PM

hi everyone, i started this thread for one simple reason. to see if more than just my friends from wisconsin are interested in getting a pronghorn mount back fast. where they didn't have to pay shippng or make a second trip out here. the reason was not for those 20 year vet. taxidermist to shoot someones work down, but that does not matter i am not going to stop taxidermy. i also know if u have a wide, unusual, or just want your own cape back OF COARSE U GET IT BACK AND IT TAKES ME 6 MONTHS. but i also know there are some people who will like the idea of not waiting. thank you ronnie

Quick Reply: antelope mount over night?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.