Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Taxidermy
How do I reattach a deer head to the mount >

How do I reattach a deer head to the mount

Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

How do I reattach a deer head to the mount

Old 01-25-2020, 07:50 AM
Spike

Default How do I reattach a deer head to the mount

I inherited a deer head when my grandmother died and I really cherish it but I can’t hang it because it’s loose from the mount. Would e6000 glue be fine or is there some other way I’m supposed to do it? It’s not completely off so I can’t see how it’s attached now.
Old 01-25-2020, 08:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

can you provide some pictures, as I am NOT sure what all your talking about
what is half OFF
is the DEER a shoulder mount, that was attached to a wooden backer, is the hide pulling off a the form UNDER the hide, and so on
all will sort of have different fixes
if your NOT sure, you can also just take the mount to a taxidermist shop and ask them HOW to fix, or HAVE them fix it for you

pending age of mount, depends on HOW and what was used to mount it, and as such, so will how and what you use to FIX it
so without GOOD pictures and better info here
we really cannot help you

a shop will be your best bet maybe , if you don;t want to do the work yourself too?
but a shop will know what to do and what this mount is made of!if you don;t know to tell us!
Old 01-25-2020, 09:20 AM
Boone & Crockett

I agree with the last post. You probably should not try to take it apart and fix it yourself because mounts of that era generally had arsenic powder under the hide to prevent insect infestation. You do not want to breath it or get it in your hands. Best to have a professional tell you if the mount can be salvaged and repaired.