Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Taxidermy
Cougar Pelt Rug Repair >

Cougar Pelt Rug Repair

Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

Cougar Pelt Rug Repair

Old 11-16-2018, 07:21 PM
Spike

Default Cougar Pelt Rug Repair

Hello,

I recently purchased a cougar pelt rug at an estate sale.

I got it for $300, and when I asked why so cheap, they pointed out some damages. All in all, based on my completely uneducated opinion, I took a risk, and bought it anyways.

See attached pictures to see the damage.

I have a few questions I was hoping someone here could help with.

1) If I bought it for $300 what is the most I should be willing to spend to make sure I’m not into it for more than its worth?

2) Is this something that will last forever? I bought it used, and have no idea how old it is. If it’s going to decay, I’d like to know, as it will effect my repair budget.

3) Can any taxidermist tackle this project, or should I go to someone with cougar pelt experience?

4) Million dollar question that I know will be hard to answer. Can someone give me a range of prices I can expect? It looks like 3 paws need significant repair, the tail is missing a small section, and he has a torn section between his tail and rear right leg. If budget allows, I’d also be interested in getting him reattached to a more attractive mat, or rug, or whatever you call the thing underneath him. I understand how this might be difficult to answer, but even a broad range of potential pricing, with different scenarios would be helpful.

I’m in Michigan if anyone has any recommendations.

PS: it looks like it’s only letting me attach one photo at a time. I’ll see if I can get around that in a reply to this thread.
Attached Thumbnails Cougar Pelt Rug Repair-aec3c14c-1264-4308-9e01-c69323f27df1.jpeg  
Old 12-04-2018, 12:37 PM
Super Moderator

I wish I could help ya. I'm sure someone on here has the experience to answer your questions.
Old 12-13-2018, 11:30 AM
Spike

Wow that is cool, wonder if you could make a mini rug out of a bobcat.
Old 12-13-2018, 11:49 AM
Boone & Crockett

If you have small feet! You can tan any pelt hair on. I am having , my elk hide tanned hair on and backed with material. It is going over the back of my sofa in the man cave.
Old 12-13-2018, 02:04 PM
Typical Buck

Go to a taxidermy forum. That is what I do when I am tanning something and have questions. If it can't be fixed, just live with it, or posistion it so it is not as noticible. You can sew holes with wax string. But if it is missing parts, I suspect that may be more of hassle then worse, Not like you shot it, and have some sentimental attachment to it,
Old 01-05-2019, 06:41 PM
Spike

Rugs that are displayed on the floor will often have damage... Especially to the paws as well as the ears/nose. Repairs are not easy on rugs and cougars more than bears... If you have all the claws they can be repaired. The patch near the tail and the tail itself are more tricky... Lion rugs will last a very long time, especially if kept out of direct sun light. This could be something that you display for years to come, so is worth a little investment to make nice again. Price will vary widely with who does the work. Find a reputable guy in your area and get a quote before the work order is signed. If you hang this on a wall it will last much longer and be less apt to suffer damages. A nice sized lion rug in good shape can be worth 1000-2000 depending on size and condition. I have a couple on my site if you want to see them. MountsForSale.com. Good luck with your decisions!
Old 04-14-2021, 10:01 AM
Spike

thanks for sharing your experience