Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Taxidermy
Interested in the art of taxidermy >

Interested in the art of taxidermy

Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

Interested in the art of taxidermy

Old 01-22-2017, 11:01 AM
Boone & Crockett

Excaliber, are you the Rob Cunningham who is a contributor on Taxidermy tube, a web site that shows videos on taxidermy? As far as "buyer beware" customers do have a responsibility to do some due diligence before selecting a taxidermist. However, I have a real problem with people hanging out a shingle and taking other people's money before they have the skills to take on clients and I have seen far too much of that since PA made the huge mistake of no longer testing taxidermists prior to licensing them.

Last edited by Oldtimr; 01-22-2017 at 11:59 AM.
Old 01-22-2017, 01:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
Excaliber, are you the Rob Cunningham who is a contributor on Taxidermy tube, a web site that shows videos on taxidermy? As far as "buyer beware" customers do have a responsibility to do some due diligence before selecting a taxidermist. However, I have a real problem with people hanging out a shingle and taking other people's money before they have the skills to take on clients and I have seen far too much of that since PA made the huge mistake of no longer testing taxidermists prior to licensing them.
It would appear so since in his profile on HNI it shows he's a taxidermist and his username is taken from the street that Youtube business is listed on in their website and they charge for their videos. I can see somewhat what he's saying to help an intern, but I have to agree with you that with the money taxidermists charge for their work they should have to meet criteria just like a plumber or electrician that charges for their service. JMHO
Old 01-23-2017, 01:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

No, I am not affiliated with Taxidermy Tube in any way. My suggestion was " Taxidermy Training Unlimited", for which I am also not affiliated but many National and World Class taxidermists are. Besides, many qualified taxidermists still use video lessons to refresh themselves on animals that they don't have much experience in doing. Nothing wrong at all in going to taxidermy school or learning from someone else, but at some point, you are going to get a speciman that you have very little to no experience with.Schools do not teach you how to mount every species of animal that you may receive, nor does any experienced taxidermist have knowledge of every animal and how to mount it. That is where the videos can help alot. All professions have some sort of reference that they can use to brush up their knowledge with. Same goes with testing. Just because you can pass a test doesn't make you a GOOD taxidermist. The test is not concerned with your quality of work, just your knowledge of certain species and laws concerning them.You may pass the test, but still put out crappy work.I have seen it first hand. Like I said before, If someone, regardless of how they may learn, opens a taxidermy shop and has customers who are happy with the work they get from them, then IMO, that taxidermist has a successful shop. You or I may not like the work that they are putting out, but it's our choice whether to take an animal to them or not. Some folks will and that's their choice. If they are happy with the results, what else matters?

Last edited by excalibur43; 01-23-2017 at 01:48 AM.
Old 01-23-2017, 01:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
It would appear so since in his profile on HNI it shows he's a taxidermist and his username is taken from the street that Youtube business is listed on in their website and they charge for their videos. I can see somewhat what he's saying to help an intern, but I have to agree with you that with the money taxidermists charge for their work they should have to meet criteria just like a plumber or electrician that charges for their service. JMHO
My username has nothing to do with the street that " Youtube " is on. LMAO
Old 01-23-2017, 06:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by excalibur43
My username has nothing to do with the street that " Youtube " is on. LMAO
Yep, just a great big coincidence that your username lacks one letter from matching the street they are on, LMAO too! I do understand what you're saying, but I also understand where Oldtimr is coming from in that if a guy had to go before a panel to show some of his work BEFORE he hangs up his shingle and takes money from paying customers IMHO it would weed out some that should take up knitting instead of taxidermy! That way a customer would be taking less of a chance on getting back a mount that sucks.
Old 01-23-2017, 06:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
Yep, just a great big coincidence that your username lacks one letter from matching the street they are on, LMAO too! I do understand what you're saying, but I also understand where Oldtimr is coming from in that if a guy had to go before a panel to show some of his work BEFORE he hangs up his shingle and takes money from paying customers IMHO it would weed out some that should take up knitting instead of taxidermy! That way a customer would be taking less of a chance on getting back a mount that sucks.

Yes, apparently it IS a great big coincidence. My username comes from the brand of X-bow that I shoot! And yes, I totally understand where Oldtimr is coming from. That is why you MUST check out the work before you take your animal to them. This not only applies to taxidermy, but it applies to almost every profession out there. There is always someone who knows how to do the work at a cut rate price, but is not a professional.You probably know some yourself, maybe a mechanic that does work out of his garage. Why worry about someone who calls themselves " whatever"? If their customers are happy, it's none of our concern!