HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Taxidermy (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/taxidermy-50/)
-   -   Help with first euro (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/taxidermy/410488-help-first-euro.html)

FlaBoy18 12-03-2016 02:04 PM

Help with first euro

Two days ago I did my first euro on a nice buck i recently shot. I fleshed the hide off then I boiled it for several hours while wire brushing the skull as well as pressure washing it. I got every piece of cartilage and meat out that i could visualize. Then the next day after drying I began applying the peroxide.
Well.. the skull is very white but has a bad stink to it. I applied a second coat of peroxide thinking maybe i cud kill the smell but no luck.
What do I do to get the stink out? Do i just let it air out?

Oldtimr 12-03-2016 02:25 PM

Did you remove the brain? If not you will have rotten smell.

FlaBoy18 12-03-2016 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by Oldtimr (Post 4283898)
Did you remove the brain? If not you will have rotten smell.

Yes sir i would poke it every hour while boiling with a wire coat hanger and got it all removed.

Oldtimr 12-03-2016 03:26 PM

I would say you didn't get it all. Drill about a one inch hole in the skull and look inside, if the stink is not coming from the outside, it has to be from the inside.

FlaBoy18 12-03-2016 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by Oldtimr (Post 4283903)
I would say you didn't get it all. Drill about a one inch hole in the skull and look inside, if the stink is not coming from the outside, it has to be from the inside.

Ok will do. If i were to re-simmer it, would the white color made from the peroxide wash off??

Tufrthnails 12-03-2016 04:04 PM

If you didn't pull the nasal cavity it can be really tough to get everything out of that area as well.

FlaBoy18 12-03-2016 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by Tufrthnails (Post 4283909)
If you didn't pull the nasal cavity it can be really tough to get everything out of that area as well.

I pulled all that i could reach with needle nose pliers. When i look up into there i dont see any meat

Oldtimr 12-03-2016 04:08 PM

No if it is bleached it will stay white. I always use dish washing liquid in the water when I boil a skull to take care of the fat and instead of peroxide, I paint the skull using a paint brush with Clorox a couple of times and let it sit in the sun to whiten it.

FlaBoy18 12-03-2016 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by Oldtimr (Post 4283912)
No if it is bleached it will stay white. I always use dish washing liquid in the water when I boil a skull to take care of the fat and instead of peroxide, I paint the skull using a paint brush with Clorox a couple of times and let it sit in the sun to whiten it.

Ok imma try re-simmering it with sum soap or borax. See if thatll kill the smell

livcoop 12-05-2016 04:12 PM

Did the head sit outside long before you boiled it? Have done a couple like this. They can smell pretty bad. I used 40 volume peroxide and then seal it with fish sealer after. The smell eventually goes away.