Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Taxidermy
Help with first euro >

Help with first euro

Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

Help with first euro

Old 12-03-2016, 02:04 PM
Fork Horn

Default Help with first euro

Two days ago I did my first euro on a nice buck i recently shot. I fleshed the hide off then I boiled it for several hours while wire brushing the skull as well as pressure washing it. I got every piece of cartilage and meat out that i could visualize. Then the next day after drying I began applying the peroxide.
Well.. the skull is very white but has a bad stink to it. I applied a second coat of peroxide thinking maybe i cud kill the smell but no luck.
What do I do to get the stink out? Do i just let it air out?
Old 12-03-2016, 02:25 PM
Boone & Crockett

Did you remove the brain? If not you will have rotten smell.
Old 12-03-2016, 03:07 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
Did you remove the brain? If not you will have rotten smell.
Yes sir i would poke it every hour while boiling with a wire coat hanger and got it all removed.
Old 12-03-2016, 03:26 PM
Boone & Crockett

I would say you didn't get it all. Drill about a one inch hole in the skull and look inside, if the stink is not coming from the outside, it has to be from the inside.
Old 12-03-2016, 03:29 PM
Fork Horn

I would say you didn't get it all. Drill about a one inch hole in the skull and look inside, if the stink is not coming from the outside, it has to be from the inside.
Ok will do. If i were to re-simmer it, would the white color made from the peroxide wash off??
Old 12-03-2016, 04:04 PM
Fork Horn

If you didn't pull the nasal cavity it can be really tough to get everything out of that area as well.
Old 12-03-2016, 04:07 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Tufrthnails
If you didn't pull the nasal cavity it can be really tough to get everything out of that area as well.
I pulled all that i could reach with needle nose pliers. When i look up into there i dont see any meat
Old 12-03-2016, 04:08 PM
Boone & Crockett

No if it is bleached it will stay white. I always use dish washing liquid in the water when I boil a skull to take care of the fat and instead of peroxide, I paint the skull using a paint brush with Clorox a couple of times and let it sit in the sun to whiten it.
Old 12-03-2016, 04:48 PM
Fork Horn

No if it is bleached it will stay white. I always use dish washing liquid in the water when I boil a skull to take care of the fat and instead of peroxide, I paint the skull using a paint brush with Clorox a couple of times and let it sit in the sun to whiten it.
Ok imma try re-simmering it with sum soap or borax. See if thatll kill the smell
Old 12-05-2016, 04:12 PM
Spike

Did the head sit outside long before you boiled it? Have done a couple like this. They can smell pretty bad. I used 40 volume peroxide and then seal it with fish sealer after. The smell eventually goes away.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.