Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Taxidermy
Taxidermy Schools >

Taxidermy Schools

Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

Taxidermy Schools

Old 03-27-2016, 02:33 PM
Spike

Default Taxidermy Schools

Most of us in the taxidermy industry didnt set out to be taxidermists. We were hunters and fisherman and for varying reasons decided to go for it. I got started about 27 years ago while in the Army and I have never looked back. But it has been tough at times so if you are planning to do it you should be sure you are doing it for the right reasons.
I had a customer come int o pick up a mount the other day and told me that he was about to retire from the Air Force in 2 months and didnt know what he wanted to do yet. His wife was standing there and he told her that maybe he should just do this (referring to taxidermy) instead of getting a job. I told him he might just want to to do something else...because taxidermy is more than just a job. It is comittment, no matter how late it is, how you feel or what you would rather be doing you are not getting out of it. It is extremely labor intensive. I had a student several years ago, in his 50s with a construction contracting background. He came to the course to learn to mount deer because he was a big hunter and tired of shelling money out to his taxidermist. By day 4 he was mentally and physically exhausted...almost to tears. He finished the course and actually did a pretty good mount but he told me in the end that he had a new respect for taxidermist and that money spent with his taxidermist was money well spent.

There are a lot of schools out there and I would encourage anyone serious about getting into this business to do their research. There are a lot of good schools and programs. I invite you to visit our site at http://www.taxidermytech.com

Ill post some pictures here on this thread periodically and invite other schools and programs to post here as well.