Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

Need help!

Old 03-09-2015, 06:52 PM
Spike

Default Need help!

Hello! I am learning to taxidermy at home and I'm running into some issues. Any advice would be appreciated.
My first issue is with neutralizing after the pickle. I am pickling with citric acid for 3 days. I rinse the hide when it comes out then put it in baking soda and salt- 2oz and .5 lbs per gallon. The hides take hours and hours and hours to neutralize. Is this normal? Everything I read says it should take 20-30 miutes.
My next issue is hair slippage after the hide is tanned? What could be causing this if there are no signs of it throughout the process? Could it be caused by the amount of time it takes to neutralize?
Old 03-11-2015, 05:28 AM
Typical Buck

I use McKenzie safety acid in my pickle with 1 LB of salt to 1 Gallon of water, leave in pickle for one week up to what ever you want, just keep the PH at #1, neutralize with Baking soda and cold water. No problems leave in for 20 minutes. Towel dry and swab with McKenzie tan leave in refrigerator for 4-6 hours then freeze. When ready to mount thaw in cold water and dawn rinse drip dry and mount.
Old 03-20-2015, 10:32 AM
Typical Buck

What are you trying to tan that is slipping??????