Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Taxidermy
i need a cape for a whitetail >

i need a cape for a whitetail

Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

i need a cape for a whitetail

Old 12-02-2012, 08:08 PM
Spike

Default i need a cape for a whitetail

Hey guys I'm new to this site but I am trying to find a new cape for the buck I just shot. Any ideas on where to look? My taxidermy lady is just getting started and is trying to find one also. We need one with a big neck. The deer I shot had a stab wound in His neck so that one couldn't be used.I live in Illinois if that helps. Also how do you post a picture.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Check with your local deer processors, should be able to find one cheap or free. ebay has them, but you'll pay.

Also, a stab wound should be repairable by any taxidermist.
Old 12-04-2012, 11:42 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by WV Hunter
Check with your local deer processors, should be able to find one cheap or free. ebay has them, but you'll pay.

Also, a stab wound should be repairable by any taxidermist.
My thought exactly. If she cant do that I dont think she will produce a very good mount.
Old 12-10-2012, 06:56 PM
Fork Horn

taxidermy.net the for sale section.

Your taxidermist should be able to fix a stab wound though, that's a bit of a "buyer beware" sign, IMO, unless you really hacked the hell out of it.
Old 12-31-2012, 05:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Personally I'd leave the Stab Wound on the finished Mount...thats what gives a Deer their Character in my opinion!

My Taxidermist supplied me with a *Free Cape and all I had to do was find a replacement Cape for it in the next year or 2...a Hunting Budy shot an Odd-Racked Buck and gave me his Cape and I was back at the Taxidermist with my replacement Cape that same year!

The reason I had to get a new Cape was someone had shot a very nice 10-Point Buck I had trail camera pictures of said Buck for about 3 years of Him growing over that time period and I had Bow hunted him that last year.Well as stated someone had shot him during the Nov. Rifle Season and I found him dead on our Farm 3 months later and he was pretty well all Skeleton except for some hair on 3 of his legs and a little on his head so I called the local Game Warden and got a Permit/Reciept to keep him and decided to have him Re-caped back to his former Glory!