Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

Plastic fish?

Old 06-05-2012, 05:35 AM
Fork Horn

Default Plastic fish?

Guys,
My grandson caught a nice mutton snapper down in the Bahamas, about 12 lbs, and I want to get a fiberglass or whatever they make them out of, reproduction. We were on a cruise and of course couldn"t keep the fish but the captain did. Well when you are 7 you don't understand so pop pop is going to surprise him for his birthday
with the mount. He likes pop pops deer mounts.
Does anyone know where on the net to go to get this replica?
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
daddus
Old 06-06-2012, 11:17 AM
Typical Buck

Not sure where you are at and being a freshwater fisherman myself I don't have any experience with saltwater taxidermy but I CAN personally 1000% recommend the Pierce Brothers at Lake Fork Taxidermy in TX: http://www.lakeforktaxidermy.com/sal...r_species.html

They are pioneers in replica mounts for freshwater species as it was essentially new technology in the marketplace 20 years ago. But it was actually technology borrowed from saltwater taxidermy as essentially all saltwater mounts are replicas (because saltwater species cannot be "skin mounted" like freshwater species).

Give them a call, if they can't help you I bet they can point you toward someone who can!
HL
Old 06-08-2012, 02:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by HatchieLuvr
Not sure where you are at and being a freshwater fisherman myself I don't have any experience with saltwater taxidermy but I CAN personally 1000% recommend the Pierce Brothers at Lake Fork Taxidermy in TX: http://www.lakeforktaxidermy.com/sal...r_species.html

They are pioneers in replica mounts for freshwater species as it was essentially new technology in the marketplace 20 years ago. But it was actually technology borrowed from saltwater taxidermy as essentially all saltwater mounts are replicas (because saltwater species cannot be "skin mounted" like freshwater species).

Give them a call, if they can't help you I bet they can point you toward someone who can!
HL
Really? I wasnt aware you couldnt do a skin mount on a salt water fish. I wonder how they did it before the fiberglass replicas? I have been in the taxidermy business for over 20 years and I have never heard that one. We do both skin or fiberglass reproductions.
Old 06-12-2012, 12:37 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by fritz1
Really? I wasnt aware you couldnt do a skin mount on a salt water fish. I wonder how they did it before the fiberglass replicas? I have been in the taxidermy business for over 20 years and I have never heard that one. We do both skin or fiberglass reproductions.
Well you can do a "temporary" skin mount of saltwater fish. But you'll be needing another in 10-20 years after it's began peeling, drying out and looking like absolute crap!

Old 06-23-2012, 10:21 AM
Dominant Buck

Don't do it..I just got a bass mount..fiberglass..cost a ton..was nothing like what I caught...

The taxidermist was a nice man and explained...you write down the specs and the company sends rthe taxidermist the blank...he simply paints it.

MY 10 pound bass looked like an 8 pounder..cost me 457.00 I got 200.00 back..save your money sir.
Old 06-28-2012, 11:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Look at the work done by King Sailfish Mounts and Artistic Angler.

They have some really good looking stuff. We have a Yellowfin tuna and a Swordfish mount in our office, and they both look great.
Old 07-23-2012, 02:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

My wife caught a really nice smallmouth bass here in vermont. We released the fish, but I got a fiberglass mount done at Bass Pro Shop. They did a great job and after 15 years, it still looks great.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...plate=salt.cfm
Old 07-25-2012, 04:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have caught many mutton snappers and I can bet that 12 pounder gave your grandson a heck of a fight. That's a nice fish!!!
Old 07-25-2012, 04:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Most fiberglass fish look like plastic toys. However, the Mutton from King Sailfish Mounts isn't all that bad. It's $307 for your size.

Old 08-13-2012, 06:31 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by BarnesX.308
Most fiberglass fish look like plastic toys. However, the Mutton from King Sailfish Mounts isn't all that bad.
I have to second that. I don't see very many good fiberglass fish reproductions.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.