Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

wet tan or dry?

Old 07-09-2011, 07:34 PM
Fork Horn

Default wet tan or dry?

I want to know if you prefer a wet tan or dry tan on a deer mount? Reasons why? What holds up better? What looks better? Are you a customer or a taxidermist? Any experiences that you've had will be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-10-2011, 12:52 PM
Fork Horn

Smile

Wow no responses ? I just wanted opinions. Not trying to start anything. Everyone sees things different. I just wanted to know what peoples opinions were? I personally have only had wet tan mounts and just wondered about dry tans. Mine seem to be holding up just fine but I haven't had em but a couple of years. any ones input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 07-10-2011, 03:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am a taxidermist and I only use wet tans on mounts. We are also a commercial tannery, we tan hides for taxidermists all over the country. We only use a dry tan if we are doing rugs or for flat hides. A wet tan is the best way to go for doing mounts, you get superior stretch and it is easier to work with.

Last edited by fritz1; 07-11-2011 at 05:57 PM.
Old 07-11-2011, 11:54 AM
Fork Horn

As a consumer you will see no difference between a wet tan and a dry tan. They are tanned the same, with the same chemicals. They will last the same amount of time. They will look the same. The only real difference is that one has been dried, and will need to be re-hydrated before mounting, and the other hasn't. I have used both commercially wet and dry tanned hides. I have noticed no difference in stretch, and once re-hydrated can't tell a difference between the two.
Old 07-11-2011, 11:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by TimberlandTaxidermy
As a consumer you will see no difference between a wet tan and a dry tan. They are tanned the same, with the same chemicals. They will last the same amount of time. They will look the same. The only real difference is that one has been dried, and will need to be re-hydrated before mounting, and the other hasn't. I have used both commercially wet and dry tanned hides. I have noticed no difference in stretch, and once re-hydrated can't tell a difference between the two.
so basically moisture is the difference?
Old 07-11-2011, 02:42 PM
Spike

X2 Cole Good info
Old 07-11-2011, 07:54 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by halfbakedi420
so basically moisture is the difference?
Yes.

X2 Cole Good info
Old 07-12-2011, 01:38 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for your replies. I just wondered because the taxi that I have been using does the wet tan. There is another one that does a dry tan. From what I can tell , both do great work. It does take awhile to get my mounts back. Sometimes almost 2 years for a whitetail. The other guy has always had my brothers ready in 6 months or less doing a dry tan. My taxi does all the work himself. He swears that a dry tan will start to turn yellow in the ears and also turn loose and not keep its form as good as a wet tan. I'm not sure if he's just trying to keep me as a customer or not. Like I said , He does great work but I would like to get a mount back quicker than 2 years. He also said that a wet tan takes 6 months to dry . Does this sound right?
Old 07-12-2011, 03:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by not the dogs
Thanks for your replies. I just wondered because the taxi that I have been using does the wet tan. There is another one that does a dry tan. From what I can tell , both do great work. It does take awhile to get my mounts back. Sometimes almost 2 years for a whitetail. The other guy has always had my brothers ready in 6 months or less doing a dry tan. My taxi does all the work himself. He swears that a dry tan will start to turn yellow in the ears and also turn loose and not keep its form as good as a wet tan. I'm not sure if he's just trying to keep me as a customer or not. Like I said , He does great work but I would like to get a mount back quicker than 2 years. He also said that a wet tan takes 6 months to dry . Does this sound right?
cant rush art...2 years is awhile, but ya get what ya pay for. could be he is soooo good, he is real busy?
Old 07-12-2011, 04:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by not the dogs
LMAO!!! A wet tan DOES NOT take 6 months or anywhere even close to 6 months to dry.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.