Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Taxidermy
useing Van Dykes Lutan-F Tanning Kit >

useing Van Dykes Lutan-F Tanning Kit

Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

useing Van Dykes Lutan-F Tanning Kit

Old 06-29-2011, 07:11 PM
Spike

Default useing Van Dykes Lutan-F Tanning Kit

Ok i got the Van Dykes Lutan-F Tanning Kit to tan my first soft rabbit pelt with head fur and ears to.
I do have a few questions on useing this, for a rabbit pelt *just one* how long do i keep it in the pickle? also a few ppl told me to neutralize after the Tan not before, but the Van Tanning kit says do it before the Tan... Whats the difference??

Also i read some where you turn the ears inside out well how? I got the pelt *its a cape* inside out at moment im not cutting it unless i need to but right now i dont want to.

I do not have a shaver to shave the skin down so do i just use a knife?
Old 06-30-2011, 02:42 PM
Spike

AHHH ok i got the kit but the instructions SAY to pickle.. Ok well i got the kit but there is nothing in the kit for pickleing.. so what now?
Old 06-30-2011, 10:58 PM
Fork Horn

You can pickle with white vinegar. 1lb salt per gallon of water- start with 16oz of 5% white vinegar, and add more to adjust pH to 2.5 or lower. It takes quite a bit of vinegar to get you there. I would let it pickle for 3 days. You won't need to shave it, rabbit skins are very thin. Neutralize it with some baking soda/water BEFORE tanning. It won't take long, prob 10 minutes. The tan will take much better if the skin is a higher pH.