Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Taxidermy
Not sure how to mount this on a plaque... >

Not sure how to mount this on a plaque...

Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

Not sure how to mount this on a plaque...

Old 06-11-2011, 06:43 AM
Spike

Default Not sure how to mount this on a plaque...

This is my first time trying my hand at taxidermy of any sort, and I got through the cleaning and bleaching and all that, but because this isn't a full skull (see pictures) and I'm not using a mounting block like would typically be used, I'm not sure how to attach this skull to a plaque properly. Is there any way to screw it on? Or some kind of putty to fill the skull cavity with that could then be screwed into?

Does anyone have some advice? I like the look of the skull, I don't want to dissemble it and use a mounting block.
Attached Thumbnails Not sure how to mount this on a plaque...-dsc_0255.jpg   Not sure how to mount this on a plaque...-dsc_0256.jpg  
Old 06-11-2011, 09:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

are ya gonna hang it, or desk mount type?
Old 06-11-2011, 09:10 AM
Spike

I plan on hanging it.
Old 06-11-2011, 09:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

so basically ya use reverse wedges. made of the same wood yer plaque will be made from. if yer real good with wood, ya make 2 half circle wedges that make a nice single circle when put to gether..then ya have to make the inside edge, this is where the bases of your skull will go when ya put the two halves together. it will take sum tweaking cause the skull isnt the same all the way around? it needs to be tight. it shouldnt wabble, so cut small.. make sure ya screw it all together from the back side.

if ya aint so good, ya make 4 er so, and strategically place them, 4 corners if you will, to hold the skull to the board (plaque).
Old 06-11-2011, 03:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Mount it on a form like this and cover the skull plate with Bondo or Drywall plaster, smooth it out to fill in the form above and around the skull plate. When it dries, Cover it in any style of cloth or chamois, and circle the antler bases with braided rope ( Wal-Mart or Fabric store).Place a hanger on the back and your done.
Old 06-11-2011, 04:52 PM
Spike

I know I can do that with a kit, but as I said in the post I don't want to use a mounting block, I want to mount the skull as is.
Old 06-11-2011, 05:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

maybe just drill a small hole in the upper section of the skull plate and run a nail through it?
Old 06-13-2011, 02:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Oh, you want just the skull plate and antlers to hang on the wall. If you have enough skull there, you may drill a small hole through the skull plate on each side ( hidden behind the antler bases, so not to be seen when hanging), put a small bolt through with a washer and nut on the inside of the skull and run a small wire from one bolt to the other on the inside, wrap around the bolt behind the washer and tighen the nut down on it. I would think that without a good mounting block, the antlers would make this top heavy and it wouldn't hang correctly. Just my opinion though.
Old 06-13-2011, 04:37 PM
Spike

The antlers are small and relatively lightweight, so I think I can get away with it. That sounds good to me, I will try that!
Old 06-13-2011, 06:03 PM
Spike

maybe this will help drill 2 1/8inch holes one on each side of your skull ,then i took a piece metal about an ich wide but strong enough to hold the antlers and the plague. i made it longer than the inside of the skull about 1 inch, or more.then i bent the ends , like this [ then slid it in the skull and pop rivot it on both sides , then simply mount it to your plague using 2 screw or 2 nuts/bolt.the only thing you see it to smooth rivots. hope this helps if you need me to i can post pics

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.