HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Taxidermy (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/taxidermy-50/)
-   -   staining antlers (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/taxidermy/342979-staining-antlers.html)

Western MA Hunter 04-04-2011 04:30 AM

staining antlers

I have a rack that was left outside for the entire winter that needs to be mounted now. The antlers have faded from their original color, but not terribly bad. They just look a little pale and the kindof satin finish usually found on antlers is gone.
Does anyone have any recomendation on how to stain these back?
I was looking at the McKenzie antler stain product... It says you can cut it with water to work your way up to desired color.
Anyone here have any experience with that?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

rgswildlife 04-04-2011 12:27 PM

To restore the color to the horns, use Potassium Permanganate available from Research Mannikins or Jonas Bros Co.

BlackCreekTaxidermy 04-04-2011 01:45 PM

You can also get Potassium Permanganate locally. You can find it at anyplace that sells pools or water softeners.

Western MA Hunter 04-06-2011 04:34 AM

so, from what I read, the Potassium Permanganate goes on purple and then dries as a brownish stain?

BlackCreekTaxidermy 04-06-2011 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by Western MA Hunter (Post 3795678)
so, from what I read, the Potassium Permanganate goes on purple and then dries as a brownish stain?

Yes it goes on purple then dries brown.
Just make sure to wear gloves while doing this. I found out it takes a long time for my stained fingers to return to normal color !! HAHA
Also its not good to have this stuff soak into your system.

Phil from Maine 04-06-2011 07:54 AM

I had a dropped set of moose antlers that a taxidermist on here gave me advice on and it worked great. That was to take some peat moss and let it rot. Them rub it onto the antlers. This way you have more control on where you want the darker and lighter parts to be. Also a plus is you can leave little bits and pieces of bark around the base of them giving a more natural look. When done spray them down with a clear coat.. Good Luck with what you decide to do..

Western MA Hunter 04-06-2011 09:03 AM

Thanks for the ideas guys.. .I will try on a few sets of antlers I have found and then see what works best.. I will then do my rack and hopefully be able to share some positive results with you.

Western MA Hunter 04-08-2011 05:33 AM

used Knobloch's antler stain that I ordered from McKenzie... came out very nice... I cut it with water and applied several coats.

runko 09-28-2011 04:00 PM

guys....

cut Potassium Permanganate with one pint of rubbing alcohol...

then get a wire brush and touch up beams.. brows.. etc...

the choc covered antlers look like trash...imho

taxi for 11 years