Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Taxidermy
Snow Camo Whitetail Skull >

Snow Camo Whitetail Skull

Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

Snow Camo Whitetail Skull

Old 05-10-2011, 11:44 AM
Banned

Are you using this kit when you do your dippings? - www.camodipkit.com - some of the patterns look the same.
Old 05-17-2011, 04:26 AM
Fork Horn

I got a european mount done a couple of years ago with the beetles. The skull is now starting to turn yellow. Is there a solution i can put the skull in to whiten it back up?
Old 06-21-2011, 04:02 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by rangerboy
I got a european mount done a couple of years ago with the beetles. The skull is now starting to turn yellow. Is there a solution i can put the skull in to whiten it back up?
If the skull does not have a urethane clear coat, then chances are the yellow discoloration is the grease seeping out of the skull, this happens over time. Whether it was beetle cleaned or otherwise.

If you want to try and degrease and whiten the skull yourself, be careful what you experiment with and how you do it, as certain methods and solutions can actually bring more grease out and further discolor or damage the skull and you may be disappointed with the results.

"Do Not Use Caustic Solutions" on your European Mount. Here is a good rule of thumb that you should consider: "If you can't use the solution on your hair, your teeth or your fingernails without damage, do not use it on skulls, bones, horns or antlers."

I've actually had good results, putting skulls in a window (indoors) with direct sunlight and allowing the sun to degrease and bleach the skull over time. Cover the antlers with a cotton pillow case to keep the sun from bleaching the color out of them.

Good Luck