Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Taxidermy
Unbelievable Mass !! >

Unbelievable Mass !!

Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

Unbelievable Mass !!

Old 02-23-2011, 01:10 PM
Fork Horn

As I said in an earler post, I hate to see this happen, I am not sure but I would suspect that all the mounts we see at Gander mt and other large sporting good stores are fake (I don't know this, but I think so) Good Luck Doc

. Woods Whitetail
A spectacular non-typical from Wisconsin! Lots of character with stickers in the bases and heavy mass all throughout the beams and tines. Shipped direct from Classic Antlers by Klaus in Wisconsin. The 2011 U.S. shipping and handling charge is 77.00.

Code Item Description Score Price
AA0229 J.D. Woods Whitetail (antlers and skull plate only) 202 5/8" Non-Typical 359.95

Hog 8 Whitetail Buck
A 22-1/8 inch inside spread with tall outstretching tines says it all for this handsome reproduction. You better have some wall space to display this awesome rack! Shipped from the manufacturer in Wisconsin. 2011 US shipping and handling charge is 77.00. Antlers and skull plate only.

Code Item Description Score Price
AA1008 Hog 8 Whitetail Buck (finished set) 190-2/8" Non-Typical 359.95
Old 02-24-2011, 03:08 PM
Spike

Doc, are you seroius ?
These are not fake antlers. These are exact reproductions of the original antlers.
I don't see the anything wrong with the replicas.
Just think if there were not any replicas, you would not get a chance to see and enjoy the sizes of the biggest deer ever taken ! Those original antlers would be locked away in Johnny Morris's or Dick Cabelas personal trophy rooms.
Instead replicas are made & put on display for all to enjoy.
Now if someone is trying to pass off a replica rack to be real, then that is a problem.
I like seeing big deer antlers for the antlers themselves, not for who killed it.
Old 02-24-2011, 05:55 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by BlackCreekTaxidermy
Doc, are you seroius ?
These are not fake antlers. These are exact reproductions of the original antlers.
I don't see the anything wrong with the replicas.
Just think if there were not any replicas, you would not get a chance to see and enjoy the sizes of the biggest deer ever taken ! Those original antlers would be locked away in Johnny Morris's or Dick Cabelas personal trophy rooms.
Instead replicas are made & put on display for all to enjoy.
Now if someone is trying to pass off a replica rack to be real, then that is a problem.
I like seeing big deer antlers for the antlers themselves, not for who killed it.
have to agree with that! its neat going into some of these outdoor stores just to look at the mounts. sure alot probably are fake, but like you said, the other option is never getting to see what a 300+ inch rack looks like. now someone dreaming up a set of huge antlers, and passing them as real that they killed is one thing, but replicas are a different story. they are a way to share with the rest of the world the magnificient rack that was actually grown by a real deer
Old 02-24-2011, 06:09 PM
Fork Horn

I don't see any problem at all (in fact I support it) with displaying reproductions for the reasons you pointed out. But my problem is when someone has a set made and then hangs them on the wall (taking credit for the harvest) And this is being done!!, I will give you an example, I was fishing with a guy and he caught a nice pike, he released it, but before doing so, we measured it, weighted it, took pictures of it, so he could have a reproduction made, well,, when he received his mount it looked rather large to me, I asked him about it, being a good friend he confided in me that he use the "power of the pencil" and added a little here and there. (more than a little imop).
I certainly do not want to start an argument but reproductions are not real!! They are fake, no matter how good or detailed the reproduction is, (a fake $10 no matter how good--is still a fake)

I have seen (as I am sure you have) manufactured antlers, I know a guy who has a couple of nice mounts which were man-made (fake) he doesn't take credit for them, but has them in his store. I have some nice wildlife mounts, I earned everyone of them, and it really "turns my Crank" when I see someone passing off a fake as one they "Worked" so hard to get. NO DISRESPECT to anyone!!! but I don't look very positive at a taxidermist who will do this for someone. There is nothing wrong with reproducing the "Great Ones" so we can all see them. I am like you, I enjoy looking at a large set of antlers, BUT I want them to have came off a deer,,, Not taken out of a mold. Doc
Old 02-27-2011, 07:56 PM
Spike

i sometimes wonder if other bucks laugh at bucks like this. very nice work.
Old 03-06-2011, 04:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

i sometimes wonder if other bucks laugh at bucks like this
No, they blow pellets out their arse and run to the next county
Old 05-08-2011, 02:44 PM
Typical Buck

to me force growing a whitetail into one of those stupid looking freaks is a total insult to the species. and like it or not some make it into the record book.
Old 05-08-2011, 02:50 PM
Fork Horn

haha
People take this WAY to personal!

It is an absolute trophy & thank you for sharing BCT!

-South