Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Taxidermy
Our next major project, the giraffe. >

Our next major project, the giraffe.

Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

Our next major project, the giraffe.

Old 01-21-2011, 09:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Our next major project, the giraffe.

We just got the crate from Africa with the giraffe in it. Here is a picture of the cape as it came, salted and dried. We are doing a shoulder mout on it, it is going to be over 11 feet tall. This cape is actually thicker than the elephant we did a little while back, it is over a inch thick in spots, going to require alot of shaving. I will be rehydrateing it next week and shaving it so we can tan it. I will post pictures through out the entire prosess, it will be very impressive, I think you guys will like it.

Old 01-23-2011, 11:55 AM
Spike

this is gunna be good!
Old 01-24-2011, 05:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Got the giraffe cape in the soak tonight, will be rehydrated enough tomorrow to get it unfolded and into the pickle vat. I will take some pictures of it tomorrow when I get it unfolded, I post them on here tomorrow night.
Old 01-25-2011, 08:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

The giraffe wasnt quite soaked up enough to unfold it all the way. Here are a couple pictures of what I was able to get unfolded, maybe it will be ready tomorrow. It is a VERY thick cape, going to take awhile to get rehydrated and shaved.

Today I shaved two cape buffalo capes and two American bison capes. Here are a few pictures of one of the cape buffallos.

Last edited by fritz1; 01-26-2011 at 06:41 PM.
Old 01-26-2011, 10:25 PM
Spike

oh man!
thats gunna be tough to mount.
u guys are experts tho so it shouldnt be a problem
Old 02-01-2011, 08:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Its been a pretty rough week, and its only tuesday! I think the giraffe is hydrated enough to lay it out and get a picture of the cape so you guys can see how big it is now. I will get some pictures and post them tomorrow night when I get in. I will probably start shaving on it next week, I have had PLENTY of other things keeping me busy right now. We just finished mounting a lifesize wolf yesterday, it looks awesome, when it is finished drying and we get it detailed I will post the pictures under the taxidermy photos thread, you guys will like this one!
Old 02-03-2011, 07:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

I pulled the giraffe out of the pickle vat today, got it unfolded, looks like I will be able to start shaving it tomorrow. Here are a few pictures of it that I took today. As you can see it is going to be a hell of a job, just look how thick this cape is.

Old 02-04-2011, 06:49 PM
Spike

damn thats a thick hide! and i thought deer were bad.. lol your going to become GREAT friends with the shaver lol
Old 02-05-2011, 08:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

I can tell your gonna have some fun with that! Lol
Old 02-18-2011, 06:57 PM
Super Moderator

Any update on this?? I'm interested to see it.
-jake

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.