Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Taxidermy
3 1/2 weeks....shoulder mount? >

3 1/2 weeks....shoulder mount?

Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

3 1/2 weeks....shoulder mount?

Old 12-14-2010, 05:13 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Windwalker7
I've seen guys charge $500 for a squirrel mount and I have seen them charge $150. That is one heck of a mark up when you consider there is less than $50 in materials.
How many squirrels have you mounted? Im guessing not many. Or at least not many that look like squirrels. Material cost in taxidermy, and any other craft/trade for that matter, is only a small percentage. Business 101.
Old 12-17-2010, 08:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have done a few.
Attached Thumbnails 3 1/2 weeks....shoulder mount?-pic045.jpg   3 1/2 weeks....shoulder mount?-made-over-photo-2.jpg   3 1/2 weeks....shoulder mount?-sqgun2.jpg  

Last edited by Windwalker7; 12-17-2010 at 08:54 PM.
Old 12-17-2010, 09:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have done a few.
Great response! I like it. Nice mounts by the way.
Old 12-19-2010, 07:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

I believe that most taxidermists around are " Part Time" taxidermists. As Cole said, there is not alot of money to be made in this field, depending on the area that you live in, so most have full time jobs as well, unless their wives have very good jobs. Alot of part time taxidermists ( and full timers) are hackers ( not ones to really take the time to learn about anatomy, join taxidermy organizations to learn more etc.). Some part timers are fantastic taxidermists, they just can't take on the work load that a full timer can because they have a full time job as well. Ed Piakowski from Ohio, is retired from his full time job and became a taxidermist in 2000, but only takes on a small work load, because he also wants to enjoy his retirement, but managed to mount the " Best in World" Whitetail deer.So, you can't honestly judge a taxidermist by his work load either.Bill Yox is also a fantastic, world renowned taxidermist and can charge $700.00 and get $700.00 for his mounts. His work is definitely worth it, but not only that, he is very well known all over the country. If he were not as well known, such as Ed P., who could also charge $700.00 per mount if he wanted, he surely wouldn't be doing many mounts per year. Bill does mounts from all over the country and the world,if he were not well known, this wouldn't be an option. Most taxidermists only do local work, therefor, their price must be competative to all of those around them.IMO, the best thing you can do is go to his or her shop, look at the mounts, especially mounts of the animal that you are intending to have done, ask questions and make an educated selection based upon what you have seen and heard from visiting different taxidermy shops.

Last edited by excalibur43; 12-19-2010 at 07:34 AM.
Old 12-19-2010, 12:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by excalibur43
I believe that most taxidermists around are " Part Time" taxidermists. As Cole said, there is not alot of money to be made in this field, depending on the area that you live in, so most have full time jobs as well, unless their wives have very good jobs. Alot of part time taxidermists ( and full timers) are hackers ( not ones to really take the time to learn about anatomy, join taxidermy organizations to learn more etc.). Some part timers are fantastic taxidermists, they just can't take on the work load that a full timer can because they have a full time job as well. Ed Piakowski from Ohio, is retired from his full time job and became a taxidermist in 2000, but only takes on a small work load, because he also wants to enjoy his retirement, but managed to mount the " Best in World" Whitetail deer.So, you can't honestly judge a taxidermist by his work load either.Bill Yox is also a fantastic, world renowned taxidermist and can charge $700.00 and get $700.00 for his mounts. His work is definitely worth it, but not only that, he is very well known all over the country. If he were not as well known, such as Ed P., who could also charge $700.00 per mount if he wanted, he surely wouldn't be doing many mounts per year. Bill does mounts from all over the country and the world,if he were not well known, this wouldn't be an option. Most taxidermists only do local work, therefor, their price must be competative to all of those around them.IMO, the best thing you can do is go to his or her shop, look at the mounts, especially mounts of the animal that you are intending to have done, ask questions and make an educated selection based upon what you have seen and heard from visiting different taxidermy shops.

I agree!

I had a local guy do a couple mounts for me a few years ago. He was just a part timer. He only did it on the side to fund some of his hunts. He's been to Alaska, British Columbia several times. He would just do what he wanted and turned lots of work away. He has since gotten out of it an just does his own animals from his hunts.

He did my moose and bear. Only charged $600 each. His work is not top of the line but well worth the price he charges. I wonder how many guys from this site would even touch a moose or bear for $600?
Attached Thumbnails 3 1/2 weeks....shoulder mount?-pic003.jpg   3 1/2 weeks....shoulder mount?-pic004.jpg   3 1/2 weeks....shoulder mount?-pic002.jpg  
Old 12-20-2010, 05:49 AM
Typical Buck

I have done a few.
Then you should know darn well that the material cost is only a small part of what goes into a good mount.
Old 12-20-2010, 07:19 PM
Typical Buck

I have enjoyed reading this thread, but my favorite part of it has to be looking at Excalibur's avatar. Bowfishing never interested me until I saw Tiffany in that episode! Windwalker paid $600 to get a bear and a moose stuffed. I wonder what it cost Lee to have those two critters stuffed? LOL
rw
Old 12-20-2010, 08:20 PM
Fork Horn

Hey I don't think it looks bad at all! Nice Buck
Old 12-20-2010, 09:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by hunt12ga
I have enjoyed reading this thread, but my favorite part of it has to be looking at Excalibur's avatar. Bowfishing never interested me until I saw Tiffany in that episode! Windwalker paid $600 to get a bear and a moose stuffed. I wonder what it cost Lee to have those two critters stuffed? LOL
rw
LOL!! Thanks. I dont know, but it was definitely money well spent!
Old 12-26-2010, 07:31 PM
Typical Buck

So I would like to hear from some of the pro taxi's on here. How long does it take to do one shoulder mount like the one posted in this thread. Assuming that you only have one to do and you don't wait on multiples to save money on supplies etc. What is the minimum amount of time it would take to do one. I am just curious how quick one could be done and be done right. Given time to tan, let things dry, etc. I know nothing about taxidermy so i am just curious how quick one could get a deer back if there taxi had nothing else to do.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.