Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Taxidermy
3 1/2 weeks....shoulder mount? >

3 1/2 weeks....shoulder mount?

Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

3 1/2 weeks....shoulder mount?

Old 12-07-2010, 05:14 PM
Spike

Default 3 1/2 weeks....shoulder mount?

Should I be concerned about my deer mount? The deer was dropped off at the taxidermist on the 13th of November and I was called to today and told that it's done. This seems quick to me( too quick?) this is the first mount i've had done and most people I've talked to said i'd be waiting a few months. I just wonder.
Old 12-07-2010, 05:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well I could tan, mount, and finish one in 3 weeks but that would be if it was the first in of the year and i didnt want to wait to get a batch in and order multiple forms together. I'm going to take a guess and say dp mount that doesnt look very good. By november a reputable taxidermist should be way to busy to get one done in 3 1/2 weeks that just came in. Hope you did your homeowork in picking a taxi and the mount suprises me and the rest of us on here and you get a good looking mount. Its very possible but the odds are against it in the taxi industry and I would be concerned but if you took it in you should know what to expect in quality of his work being turned out. Post pics if you would after you pick it up.
Old 12-07-2010, 05:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

yes i would be worried......even if it looks good will now how will it look in 20yrs??????? My taxi takes about 1 to 1.5 yrs....which is slow but he does a LOT of business
Old 12-08-2010, 04:51 AM
Typical Buck

Yes, you should be worried.
Old 12-08-2010, 06:08 AM
Fork Horn

I've seen some junk produced in a month, and I've also seen some wonderful work knocked out that quickly. The only thing that would concern me would be that the taxidermist doesn't have much work load, leaving me to wonder why. How much did you pay?
Old 12-08-2010, 05:58 PM
Spike

yes you should be worried. between tanning, prepping, mounting, waiting for it to dry, finish work it should take atleast 6-8 months depending on how busy he is.. im scared to ask.. what did you pay for it?
Old 12-09-2010, 06:41 PM
Typical Buck

Default Comon already ,,, LOL...

Your keeping us in suspence ..
Lets see pics .....
Old 12-10-2010, 04:20 AM
Spike

I haven't picked it up yet. I'll have pics up tomorrow.
Old 12-10-2010, 07:04 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Stoobie10
I haven't picked it up yet. I'll have pics up tomorrow.
What did it cost?
Old 12-10-2010, 07:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

One reason mounts take several months is because many taxidermists send their capes to a tannery. They won't get the capes back for a couple months.

Now if the taxi does his own tanning it can be done quickly. There are many home tans out there. Krowtan, McKenzie tan, John Rinehart Tanning solution, and many others.

Heck once the cape is tanned, it doesn't take that long to put the mount together then the rest of the time is drying time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.