Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Taxidermy
3 1/2 weeks....shoulder mount? >

3 1/2 weeks....shoulder mount?

Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

3 1/2 weeks....shoulder mount?

Old 12-11-2010, 02:28 PM
Spike

It cost $275 and evidently he didn't have many to do. I'm having problems getting pics uploaded to photobucket. I'll post as soon as I get them up. It's not the beat I've ever seen, but I've seen worse. He said he guarantees his work......we'll see if and when there's ever a problem.
Old 12-12-2010, 09:06 AM
Fork Horn

I would be more worried about someone doing a deer head for $275 than I would about how long it took them to complete it. I can all but guarantee you that a deer that cheap was not tanned, was not mounted using quality components, and probably looks poor now and will look 10X worse 5 years from now. I would expect a quality mount would run you almost double that price. That's my opinion.
Old 12-12-2010, 10:49 AM
Spike

Old 12-12-2010, 11:23 AM
Spike

First of all, congrats on a nice deer. Secondly, I wouldn't use that taxidermist anymore. But that's just me. I firmly believe in you get what you pay for. I paid double that price almost 10 years ago. Again, congratulations on a nice deer.
Old 12-12-2010, 11:57 AM
Spike

Yeah, I'll definitely do my homework between now and next season. I'll have someone in mind if and when I get something larger.
Old 12-12-2010, 12:51 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Stoobie10
Yeah, I'll definitely do my homework between now and next season. I'll have someone in mind if and when I get something larger.
I would suggest Gunners Taxidermy in Nicholasville.
Old 12-12-2010, 01:43 PM
Spike

Thanks timberland. I didn't plan on having this buck mounted, but got talked into it and I didn't have a freezer at the time. It was an impulse decision, which I'm sure I'll regret.
Old 12-12-2010, 06:25 PM
Fork Horn

I drop mine off in Nov-Dec, and normally get it back sometime in March-April.

I pay more than you paid, within the "$500's" and he doesnt send the hides off.

I highly recommend my Taxi for anyone in the southern Wi or Northern IL area. PM me if info needed...
Old 12-13-2010, 05:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by TimberlandTaxidermy
I would be more worried about someone doing a deer head for $275 than I would about how long it took them to complete it. I can all but guarantee you that a deer that cheap was not tanned, was not mounted using quality components, and probably looks poor now and will look 10X worse 5 years from now. I would expect a quality mount would run you almost double that price. That's my opinion.

I am curious of these quality materials you speak of.

When you say "not tanned" are you refering to DP or a brush on tan?

If you use DP on your birds, are you saying they won't look good in 5 years?

I see that Bill Yox endorses McKenzie tan. Are you saying that Bill Yox's work is shoddy?

Listen you and I both know there is lots of competition and bashing amongst taxidermist.

I will openly admit that the deer pictured in this thread is not quality work but that is due more to that taxidermits abilitys and not the tan, home tan, or materials.

Most taxidermists like to try to level the playing field by bashing lower priced taxidermists because they feel their throat is being cut with cheaper prices.

It is sometimes true that you get what you pay for. But there are some pretty good taxidermists out there that just do it on the side and are reasonable about price.

I mean some guys are trying to make a killing by over charging yet get upset when someone charges a fairer price.

I've seen guys charge $500 for a squirrel mount and I have seen them charge $150. That is one heck of a mark up when you consider there is less than $50 in materials.

There are hunters out there that really can't afford the $500-$600 for a quality mount and search out cheaper prices. These lower priced taxidermists fill that void.

There is no need to throw them under the bus.
Old 12-13-2010, 05:52 PM
Fork Horn

I didn't throw anyone under the bus, my comments were made before any pictures were posted, and I was speaking in generalities, not about that taxidermist in particular. I never posted anything pertaining to the work that was pictured...good or bad. When I mentioned quality supplies, I was talking about the manikins, eyes, liners, paste, tan, etc. For example, you can get forms as cheap as $35 or you can spend up to $60 for a quality manikin. Cheap eyes are $6, and high quality eyes can run $16/pair. You can DP a deer for a buck or two, or pay to have it tanned (or tan it in house) for $50. Instead of using Bondo costing only a few cents, some of us choose quality ear liners for about $8/pair. Also, many many of the remounts I do are mounted without any hide paste, and here I am spending $40/gallon ($3/deer) on quality paste. Just the supplies I listed above account for a difference of about $95 per head. Obviously you also pay for a taxidermists skill level, which can change the price of a mount considerably.

My comments were in an attempt to educate hunters on things to expect when searching for a quality taxidermist, not to "bash" anyone or their abilities. In fact, I suggested a local shop for the gentleman that started the thread, so your suggestion that I am leveling the playing field for my own gain doesn't hold water. For you to suggest that me, or any other taxidermist is "trying to make a killing by over charging" is ridiculous. If you had any idea how much a taxidermist nets in a full time shop you would likely retract that statement. I know I would be MUCH better off if I were a plumber, electrician, or laid floors for a living.

I totally understand that there are guys that can't afford paying $700, or even $500 for a quality shoulder mount, hell, I couldn't either. There are plenty of lower priced taxidermists that fill that niche, and personally I don't concern myself with other shops or what they charge. That is the great thing about this free enterprise country, we can all charge whatever we feel we are worth, and consumers are free to choose who they want to do their work. I was simply offering my opinions on what those that want the best job should look for in a taxidermy shop.

Finally, Bill Yox is a friend of mine, and of course I was not implying his work was "shoddy". Last time I talked to Bill about this subject, I think he said he was getting over $700 for a shoulder mount deer. Are you suggesting he is "trying to make a killing by over charging"?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.