HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Taxidermy (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/taxidermy-50/)
-   -   Question about freezing a deer head (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/taxidermy/333630-question-about-freezing-deer-head.html)

hometheaterman 11-07-2010 08:08 PM

Question about freezing a deer head

So I have a deer head I plan to get mounted. The issue I have though, is I've not found a taxidermist that I trust, so while doing research I wanted to put it in the freezer. We have an upright freezer so initially I thought it wouldn't be a problem. I then discovered the shelves have pipes going to them to keep them defrosted so you can't remove them. I unhooked one and got it out of the way enough on side to get the antlers in, but on the other side I couldn't get it up very high so it's kind of like the rest of the deer skin is folded up to make it fit in there. Is this fine? I ideally would like it hanging, or draped out across something, but since it can't be is it okay if the neck skin and stuff from the head down is folded up and basically just pushed together in the freezer? Thanks.

okieshooter 11-08-2010 01:44 PM

If it is not bagged pretty well it will freezer burn and ruin the hide. These guys will know more than me but the way it sounds like you are doing it will not work for more than a few days.

Tuffcity 11-08-2010 06:34 PM

You'd be better off caping it out then freezing it. You wouldn't have to turn the ears or lips, but fold it up skin to skin, hair to hair, bag it and freeze it. It will keep for quite a long time that way. I've got two mountain goat capes in the freezer and I'm in no hurry to get them to the taxi.

RC

Kosherboy 11-09-2010 11:13 AM

Go To Youtube there are tapes that show you how to cape a head and turn the lips and ears and flesh, then you can salt it a few times until is hard and you can take the salted cape and horns to the Taxidermist like that.
Freezing is not good unless you have a big freezer.

wingchaser_labs 11-09-2010 11:21 AM

You will be just fine with it frozen like that for a lil bit. It takes a bit of time to freezer burn the ears. Best thing to do would be get it double bagged in 2 garbage bags once its frozen. Will give you plenty of time to find a taxi. Where are you from? Maye some on here can help point you in the right direction. Nice to see a hunter doing their homework before picking a quality taxidermist.

rangerboy 11-12-2010 04:17 AM

how long would a hide last in the freezer before getting freezed burnt without having the head in a bag? Would a week be fine?

wingchaser_labs 11-12-2010 08:54 AM

Yes. I'm not sure on how long exactly but it takes alot longer than a week to do any damage. Its amazing what a plastic bag does though and if you have bags bag em after froze. I had a guy bring one in last year that had been in his freezer for a year. had a garbage bag on it but one ear was sticking out the top. The last 2 inches of the ear were freezer burned but the rest of the head and ears were fine. Got the ear turned with soaking and careful working. I think it depends on the quality of freezer too. Some freezers make things last longer than others. If I'm ever away on a hunting trip or something and I get a drop off its just gets layed in the freezer to wait for me to thaw it and cape it when I return and they are typically in there for a week or two at times. Never had any problems. I think you usually start seeing a lil freezer burn to the ears after a couple maybe few months depending on your freezer but maybe someone else would know more.

Marlerboy 12-16-2010 06:54 AM

If it ruins they can still use the antlers youll just need another cape tahts about the same size

Jake95 12-16-2010 09:47 AM

yeah, just fold it up in a plastic bag. i would keep the ears tucked into the rest of the hide so it helps prevent frostbite. if they do get frost bitten, just spray some stop-rot on them and slowing work your way up. i would be more concerned of the cape slipping if left in the freezer for awhile without turning or salting it.