Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

any recourse

Old 08-11-2010, 08:24 PM
Fork Horn

Default any recourse

OK so I had some miscommunication with my taxidermist and he mounted a ear on my deer head in the wrong position. My question is can any thing be done now. This was 3 weeks ago that he mounted it and he still has it.
Old 08-12-2010, 03:52 AM
Typical Buck

Yes, it can be fixed. Did he not know that? I'm assuming that you've talked to him and that's how you know it's wrong. He should have told you at that time that he would change it.
Old 08-12-2010, 04:44 AM
Fork Horn

it may cost you to have it changed,,i wouldnt do it for free,,sounds like he did his part but if you ask him politely he should fix it for you..alot of mistakes begin with not telling your taxadermist what you expect,,and lets face it they dont read minds..i like to see it when they write it all down,,makes me feel like theyre realy pro,and it means something
what you think.i hope he does it for you cause it will mean all the world next year when you get another monster...good luck..
Old 08-12-2010, 10:42 AM
Fork Horn

totally my fault, I told him which mount I wanted and showed him a picture and stated I wanted it just like the picture not realizing one of the ears was offset from the other. I haven't told him yet that I screwed up
Old 08-12-2010, 10:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

It depends on what the ear was set in as to whether it can be changed or not. If was set in Apoxie Sculpt and not water soluable clay, most likely it is permanent. Critter Clay or water soluable clay can be rehydrated with water, Apoxie Sculpt dries rock hard and will not rehydrate.You may ask your Taxi if it can be changed, and if so, would he or she mind doing so. I, as a taxidermist, would not attempt to change the ear, as it MAY not come back together correctly without cutting the back seam, rehydrating the cape and going in to re-do the clay work. IMO, the Taxi shouldn't be expected to change the ear ( since, as you stated, it was totally YOUR fault ), unless you pay an extra charge for the time spent doing so.
Old 09-03-2010, 06:43 AM
Fork Horn

The best recourse is getting a new taxidermist for your next mount. After 3 taxidermist I finally found a great one, and he will now have business for life because he listens, works quickly, and does it right.
Old 09-03-2010, 07:51 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by WestVirginiaBrent
The best recourse is getting a new taxidermist for your next mount. After 3 taxidermist I finally found a great one, and he will now have business for life because he listens, works quickly, and does it right.
You didn't read it very close. He said it wasn't the taxidermists's fault.
Old 09-23-2010, 08:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Just a guess here but I'm thinking you are only worried about the ear position because of some perception in your head of what the ears "need" to look like. If you looked at a mount on the wall and said o yeah i really like that do it just like that and you didn't even notice the ear set, I'm guessing you are going to really like your mount with the offest ears. I personally love offset ears and always mention the option to clients cuz it something different and with certain poses looks really nice. Alot of clients never even know about offest ears until you mention it. I'd stick with the mount and not try and monkey around with fixing it cuz most likely no matter what something won't come together like it would on the other side and possibly look bad.
Old 09-27-2010, 07:29 AM
Fork Horn

Turns out he couldn't change the position for me as he puts some expoxy in the ears when he is done and had already done this. He didn't want to chance drilling through the expoxy to rehydrate the ear. I trust him as he is a master taxidermist and has been good to me not charging me for touchup work on older mounts not done by him. No one will ever notice but me.
Old 10-13-2010, 05:10 AM
Spike

vadeer where is this taxidermist? and how much does he charge for his mounts?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.