Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Taxidermy
Boiling out skulls >

Boiling out skulls

Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

Boiling out skulls

Old 09-30-2011, 04:02 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by hunt12ga
It's time consuming, but sit down with a knife and a pair of pliers and get as much of everything off of the skull ahead of time that you can, and then the boiling will be much quicker. rw
Good advise, you can't get it all, but try and get it as clean as you can before you start the boil. then alternate boiling and scrapping off the stuff you didn't get.
don't leave it under the boil for too long, it is really quit easy. Before you start go pick up a 12 pack of your favorite beverage, & have at it. If you think about it wrap the base of the antlers with aluminum foil so they don't get too dark. all in all not a bad job, I don't think it makes any difference as to how long the head sits before you start. Good Luck Doc

get a deep pot, ( find them at garage sales)

Old 10-02-2011, 05:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Old turkey boiler that you dont use anymore work great too! and you can adjust the heat
Old 10-02-2011, 05:55 PM
Spike

My taxidermist told me to leave it out for a few days and then bury the head leaving the antlers above ground. After a few weeks pull it out and wash it off, should be clean. Tape the antlers and spray it with some eggshell white paint. Never did it this way but he has a few hanging that look very good.
Old 12-01-2011, 02:26 PM
Spike

I skin my head and put it in a 5 gallon bucket filled with clean water. In cooler regions you might have to cover the antlers and the bucket with a garbage bag to hold in heat. Every 5 or 6 days I will pour almost all of the old water out and refill with clean water until the head is covered. I will soak the head until almost all the meat has slipped. In Texas, that's about 2 or 3 weeks. Then I will "boil" in a pot (really I simmer, to hot and the skull will come apart). As "DocD" mentioned I will wrap the antlers in aluminum foil to keep them from darkening from the moist heat. Normaly it only takes about 30 minutes of simmering to get the skull clean using this method. It does take a location that is away from the wife because it will not smell good!
Old 12-03-2011, 08:21 AM
Fork Horn

It's amazing how much bad information you can fit in one thread. Bleach? Rawhide? Calcium Carbonate? (Isn't that an antacid?) Bury? Paint? Most of you would be better off letting an expert take care of it for you.
Old 12-03-2011, 08:30 AM
Fork Horn

my buddy jsut boiled his first, and he did say it took some 7-8 hours, but it looked real cool.

no chemicals or the cartiledge will break down.

If you have no time limits, ants, or acid factory nearby, just put it in a garbage can and pack it with ash from the wooodstove.

takes a couple months but works great.....no breakdown, or discoloration. who knows?
Old 12-03-2011, 08:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by TimberlandTaxidermy
It's amazing how much bad information you can fit in one thread. Bleach? Rawhide? Calcium Carbonate? (Isn't that an antacid?) Bury? Paint? Most of you would be better off letting an expert take care of it for you.
well...tell us then.
Old 12-03-2011, 11:40 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by halfbakedi420
well...tell us then.
I thought I did.
I'll be more specific:Send them to Skulls Unlimited in OK.

BTW, add "breaking down of the cartilage" to the list of things that don't make sense. ????
Old 12-06-2011, 04:54 PM
Spike

Ok what is the best way to get the brain out and clean out the inside of the skull. I am new to the whole thing and would like to try do do it myself.
Old 12-07-2011, 03:19 PM
Super Moderator

I'm doing a skull tomorrow or sometime this weekend. I'll try to get a step by step pictures and make a post about it.
-Jake

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.