Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Taxidermy
Suspicious taxidermist?????  HELP!!!! >

Suspicious taxidermist????? HELP!!!!

Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

Suspicious taxidermist????? HELP!!!!

Old 03-17-2010, 11:25 AM
Spike

Question Suspicious taxidermist????? HELP!!!!

Hey Guys & Gals-
I'll refrain from saying the name of the taxidermist for now, but here is what's going on...
I took a deer on Nov 8, 2008 that scored 162", and was my first ever bowkill. Before the season, I did a lot of "asking around" about a reputable taxidermist in my area. I had several people give me the name and number of an Award Winning taxidermist about 2 hrs away. He is in a couple of taxi magazines that I get, and his work is all over the Gander Mountain store in his town. That being said, I've seen his awesome work, and on the recommendation of friends, I trusted him.
A friend and I both took our deer to him on the same day, which was Nov 8, 2008. We paid the $775.00 up front, the day we brought the deer in. He said he would have them finished in 10-12 months. My buddy picked his deer up in early October 2009. I called the taxidermist in December 2009 to inquire about the status of my mount, and he said he had not yet started on it, but to call back in a month or two. That is the last I have spoken to him.
I have tried to call AT LEAST 15-20 times over the last month. He will not answer, will not return calls, and will not return emails. I took off work one day a couple of weeks ago and drove the 2hrs down to his shop to inquire in person, but he was not there.
I have been calling all the guys that recommended him, and they say he is still in business, etc. One friend just picked up a European Mount there three weeks ago.
Long story short- I can't take off work much at all, but I can't get him to answer my calls or call me back. I have a friend that lives about 20 minutes from him, and he is going by there tomorrow morning to check on it.

What could be going on??????

What else could/should I do??????

Thanks for the suggestions guys- I appreciate it.
Old 03-17-2010, 07:45 PM
Typical Buck

So what your saying is he is 2 months over do on getting it back to you. That is not bad as I know some guys who take up to 2yrs. Some of these guys are 150 heads deep and work by them selves or with just someone prepping forms, skinning and doing everything else that would slow down a taxidermist from just mounting. I see your concern over not hearing from him BUT how many times has your # showed up on his phone? Please don't tell me you called him 10 times a day for weeks? Did you ever call him, got his VM then called him back just to let him know you were calling again? I have had many people come and have stuff mounted that say I don't trust you taxidermists! My advice is to wait it out another month then send him a certified letter asking nicely when will it be done.

Also don't go by when someone else got their deer back as circumstances can be different from year to year. I also see you said you paid him in full. This is something taxidermist have been doing more and more rather than the 50% deposit cost. Reason? Guys not coming to pickup, bad economy, materials are up and less work in general and its hard to spread $xxx.xx over a long time and make $$$$$.

Last edited by NJheadhunter71; 03-17-2010 at 07:53 PM.
Old 03-18-2010, 04:38 AM
Typical Buck

I tend to agree, it’s a little too early to worry much. From your description, he’s a talented and successful taxidermist. You don’t get to that point by ripping people off. My guess: you called to check status and left a voice mail. Then, before he even had a chance to return your call you called back again, and again and so on. He probably has figured out by now that the only thing you want to hear is “Your mount is ready”. Taxidermists don’t get work done when they’re answering calls all day, so most have voice mail and caller ID so they don’t have to answer phone calls. I’ve had a customer that was let’s say, “over eager”. He started calling within a month and got to the point he would call almost every day if I wasn’t there to answer. I eventually stopped answering his calls. I called him when it was done, and suggested he find another taxidermist. You don’t want to be that guy. Give it some more time and I’m sure you’ll be very happy with the mount you get
Old 03-18-2010, 05:00 AM
Typical Buck

Good things come to those who wait. Give the guy a chance.
Old 03-18-2010, 06:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

a 160 class deer? i bet your buddies didnt fair as well as yours?

maybe he is just trying to do a good job...dont rush an artist. ya dont get art that way!

circumstances vary.
Old 03-18-2010, 07:49 AM
Spike

Ok guys, thanks for the replies.

The only thing I was worried about is he said 10-12 months, and it has been 16 months. I've got a lot of money out on the table, and at the very least, expected a small amount of communication.

I don't think I have "pestered" him, or not given him enough time to call me back. Having my own business myself, I know the etiquette of getting back to customers on a timely basis. I also know that I can't answer every call every time, so I return calls as soon as possible. A two minute return phone call would go a long way to solve problems and answer questions. Nobody is too busy to take care of their own business and reputation- that's bad business. I know if I didn't answer my phone and didn't call customers back, I would be out of business.

Anyway, I appreciate everyone's help. Thanks a bunch for the advice, and good luck!
Old 03-18-2010, 10:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

im self employed as well. if ya cant communicate it starts lots of problems. some guys have it and some dont...you have to understand he is more of an artist than a business owner.

Originally Posted by TreestandPilot
Ok guys, thanks for the replies.

The only thing I was worried about is he said 10-12 months, and it has been 16 months. I've got a lot of money out on the table, and at the very least, expected a small amount of communication.

I don't think I have "pestered" him, or not given him enough time to call me back. Having my own business myself, I know the etiquette of getting back to customers on a timely basis. I also know that I can't answer every call every time, so I return calls as soon as possible. A two minute return phone call would go a long way to solve problems and answer questions. Nobody is too busy to take care of their own business and reputation- that's bad business. I know if I didn't answer my phone and didn't call customers back, I would be out of business.

Anyway, I appreciate everyone's help. Thanks a bunch for the advice, and good luck!
Old 03-18-2010, 11:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

I wouldn't worry about him being over due on the time issue. However, the guy doesn owe you a return phone call if you have left him messages. Thats uncalled for in my book.
Old 03-19-2010, 05:28 AM
Boone & Crockett

Nov 8, 2008, that's closer to 27 months since you carried the head in. I would be sitting in his driveway waiting for an explanation. If he is that slow he is taking in too much work. I would never pre-pay in full.
Old 03-19-2010, 07:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by timbercruiser
Nov 8, 2008, that's closer to 27 months since you carried the head in. I would be sitting in his driveway waiting for an explanation. If he is that slow he is taking in too much work. I would never pre-pay in full.
Currently he is only a little over 16 months since he carried the head in.

I'm starting to think something is up though. Your buddy got his back and you took them in at the same time and he won't return your phone calls as well. I can see where your starting to get pissed. I would be going back and be asking for your rack and cape. I would put a $100 that your cape is not there and is lost or got ruined. I've heard this whore story more than I care to share.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.