Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Taxidermy
Suspicious taxidermist?????  HELP!!!! >

Suspicious taxidermist????? HELP!!!!

Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

Suspicious taxidermist????? HELP!!!!

Old 03-26-2010, 03:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

As an Ex Taxidermy Studio Owner, I'll tell you I didn't appreciate a bunch of people calling me every week to inquire about their mounts, it took time off from my work to answer the dang phone, If he came through for your buddies yours should be ready any day now, IMO
Old 03-30-2010, 01:23 PM
Spike

Default Update!!!

Update.......

Finally got in touch with the taxi today. He said there were no problems, but he should be done in 2-3 months. What a huge relief.
This is also the same thing he said in December, but no big deal- at least he finally answered his phone. I will wait until July and try again.

Old 03-30-2010, 05:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good deal. At least he spoke to you. He must of had a lot of stuff lined up between you and your buddies deer or needed a break from mounting deer and went to something else.
Old 03-31-2010, 08:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by TreestandPilot

Update.......

Finally got in touch with the taxi today. He said there were no problems, but he should be done in 2-3 months. What a huge relief.
This is also the same thing he said in December, but no big deal- at least he finally answered his phone. I will wait until July and try again.

Don't call him for 4 or 5 then. Really though anything over 18 months is getting to be too much. Sounds like he might hit right at the 18 month mark though. If it takes more than 18 months for something the guy shouldn't be taking in anymore work and yours is only a nov 8th bowkill so I'm wondering how many after you there are that are the bulk of the season gun kills from 2008 yet. Anyways I'm sure your mount will look great. Sounds like you did your homework looking for a good taxi. WCL
Old 04-14-2010, 07:51 PM
Fork Horn

Ive had plenty of mounts and lifesize animals taxidermed by a couple different taxidermists.That is a usual thing you are going thru.They will tell u in about another 2wks or so.Every time u call.But the reality of it is some taxidermists are taking on to much work,For only one worker in the shop!They got to much on their plates.And they should be honest,like any buisness man or women,And tell u straight out they are swamped and its 1st come 1st serve!!
But on the other hand the buisier they are means the better they are Cause everyone wants his service!
I have been lucky enough to find a taxidermist whos turn around time on mounts are 5-6 months,And he does excellent work.But he also has a team of profesional taxidermists working in that shop so they do a production line sort of thing.
I bet that mounts gonna come out great,U were just gettn antsy/nervous cause its your biggest buck!Which is understandable..Post pics when ya get it in 3yrs!!!LOL,(JOKING)About the 3yr thing,lol,take care...
Old 04-21-2010, 10:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Maybe Im spoiled, but I would never wait over a year for a mount, my taxidermist is a good friend ,and does exellent work, and has been in biz for 20 years. his turn around time for WT shoulder mounts, is about 2-4 months from when the deer is dropped off. he does all his fish , birds and furbearers in the spring and summer and gets em all done by next deer season. he also calls people back, and only takes a 50% deposit. If you want to be an "artist", get a loft and a grant from NEA ,and work for free. if youre taking people's $,especially up front, you owe them basic professional courtesy, nobody is so "good" that they are above that. I am a craftsman of sorts, and a own my own biz and I would never give my customers the run around like that. JMHO
Old 04-24-2010, 09:02 AM
Typical Buck

At least you have a chance at getting it back in 18 months. My taxidermist still has my deer from the last four years...none of which have even been started. But it also doesn't cost me squat seein as how I spend the whole year helpin him in the shop and skinnin deer during the season...and all the other chores that helped with around the house growin up. But I usually get one mount for Christmas and one mount for my birthday every year. It's nice bein a taxidermists son...until it comes time to actually get your mount and you realize you are four years on the back burner lol.
Old 05-21-2010, 08:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ah you all say what u want but nov 08 thats crazy it isn't done yet. Something is fishy with this one. i wouldnt have payed all up front. Now ur on his time. When u leave a deposit he wants his money so he's gonna finish it in a reasonable amount of time. My rule is it should never go into the next season. Then he's taking in more heads. I dropped off my 08 bow kill in jan 09 and got it back dec 09. And it was amazing. He's got him turning doing a lip curl.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
MN Mount.jpg (8.7 KB, 62 views)
Old 01-06-2011, 05:36 PM
Spike

I know how you feel about not hearing back from your taxidermist. It is frustrating but I am sure he was just covered up. I took my first to my taxidermist a few years back and at the time he told me it would be around 10 months or so. After a year I had I started to call and left messages and did not get a return call. I stopped by his place a couple of times but could not catch him in. One day I happened to be over by his house I just drove by and he was outside mowing his grass. I stopped and asked him about the deer and when we went inside it was hanging on the wall finished. I don't know how long it had been finished but after looking at it I was amazed at how well it looked compared to some of my friend's mounts that they had done at other places. He is truly an artist. Well this year I was trying to decide on where to take my kill and I ended up going back to the same guy. I know that it will be awhile before I get it back but that does not bother me so much anymore because I know the quality that I will get when he is finished. It makes the waiting a little easier.
Tuck
Old 01-06-2011, 07:42 PM
Typical Buck

Default Well first of all

deernutz nice buck , Is that a McKenzie 6400 up ???
If so It the one I,m loking at getting done on my buck from this past season ...

Next I WONT go into to much detail on my last taxidermist experience ,,But I to trusted a new taxidermist with my 2010 Buck do to my original Taxi. had sergery and is bed ridden for a while . He use to tell me up to 1 year and all three he did for me since 1991 was usualy around 10 months .
That last Taxi, I went to I discussed everything with the guys father , do to his son who is the actual taxidermist was buisy ??
Apparently the father takes the orders and deposits and the son does ALL the work on the mounts ,,
I,d also seen his work in Gander near my Location and had others tell me he was very good .
Long story short . I stopped by 3 weeks after the first visit to drop off a picture of how I wanted the ears angled .
Good old dad says sons not home ( again ), them looks at my like why are you here ????
We go down to the shop and on the way tells me he wasnt sure if my cape was going to be anygood or not ..
He asks how long I had hung it etc, and I explained as I told him the first day I went in with it . I wont go into detail but it was 4 days after I shot it and he had it , The weather was teens to mid 20,s...
Then he says oh maybe it wasnt your deer I was thinking of .
After having a couple sleepless nights I called, ask for his son ( the taxidermist ) He said my cape was fine and I thanked him for the clearing everything up .
His dad gets pissed and calls me and wants to no why I had called his son ????
I since picked up my rack and cape .
Found a new Taxidermist that cares and started the waiting all over again,,,
First guy I gave $100. down ..
Ive NEVER heard of paying for a mount in FULL and taking a chance on quality or time ???
Maybe just me but I DONT AGREE with the idea of its NO BIG DEAL if your cape went bad he ( the taxidermist ) will just get another ..
Well maybe he can get a matched cape as far as measurement but he can Never get a match on color or character of the original cape ,,,
Kinda like saying your racks no good ,We can use your cape and find another rack thats close .... BS,,,

Glad to here he finaly got in touch with you ..
Good luck to ya .....

Last edited by TRACKER; 01-07-2011 at 06:15 PM. Reason: splg

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.