Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Taxidermy
boiling the head >

boiling the head

Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

boiling the head

Old 01-03-2010, 08:41 PM
Fork Horn

Default boiling the head

boiled the head and i dont know if the heat from the pan or something broke it or what but the tip of the nose broke off any idea of what to do next time thanks for your help
Old 01-04-2010, 03:42 AM
Spike

Not really sure (I'm pretty new at this) but the tip of the nose is mostly cartilage and (at least on mine) sort of melted away, take a look at some of what others have done and see if yours looks the same, also while I was boiling the lower jaw just seem to "fall" off, and from what I read this happens also. Hope this helps, Den
Old 01-04-2010, 04:13 AM
Typical Buck

Do not boil, just simmer slowly.
Old 01-04-2010, 04:17 AM
Typical Buck

That's why boiling is such a bad idea. The heat weakens the bone. If left long enough the bone will just fall apart.
Old 01-04-2010, 10:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah are you sure you broke off the tip. All the cartilage should come out. There will be a good size hole, and fragile bones left. When I boil I don't leave the skull in for long periods of time. About 45mins. at a simmer. Remove what I can, and put it back in for 5-10 mins. I keep doing this until I'm satisfied. Never lost a skull yet. It also works best if remove all can before hand. The lower jaw, and brains should all be cleaned off.
If you did break the fragile bone off, I'd use some super glue, and piece it back together.
Old 01-04-2010, 03:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Finish cleaning it, do your bleaching and glue it back together.
Old 01-04-2010, 04:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

we have fire ants here...so i just tie wite it to a tree near a fire ant mound and come back in a few weeks..or maggots do a good job, peel the hide off and soak in bleach water
Old 01-04-2010, 07:13 PM
Fork Horn

thanks for the advice when i did it i left it in the boiling water for 3 hours didnt clean off anything and then everything fall off and i think it came off with the nose because i never saw it so i will try it drifferent next time but that was my first time for anything like this and my first deer ever so ill let you no next time ill try to post pics of this one it dont look real bad but maybe that is because it is my first buck and i dont care he is not real big
Old 01-04-2010, 07:40 PM
Fork Horn

http://i805.photobucket.com/albums/y...1262666224.jpg
Old 01-04-2010, 07:40 PM
Fork Horn

tell me if that works if you can view it
thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.