Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Taxidermy
Doe form for a skinny buck? >

Doe form for a skinny buck?

Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

Doe form for a skinny buck?

Old 12-18-2009, 10:26 AM
Spike

Default Doe form for a skinny buck?

Shot a buck on Oct. 7 and it was very sick... all skin and bone, but had a nice rack. My buddy is going to mount it for me and says he's having trouble finding a form... he said it was 14" neck and 7 3/4" eye to nose measurement. He also mentioned the area around the horns had a lot of fever blister and the skin was as thin as rabbit fur! He wants to put a new cape on it, but not sure I really want that. It won't look like the pics when I shot it. He's already got the horns cut out of the skull... maybe I'll just skip the shoulder mount and use the horns on that iron buck mount that Cabela's has. What do you guys think of using an old doe form? I want both of us to be happy when this is all over.
Attached Thumbnails Doe form for a skinny buck?-2510570.jpg  
Old 12-18-2009, 10:29 AM
Banned

its up to you, you have to look at it, not us....euro mount?
Old 12-18-2009, 12:02 PM
Typical Buck

Don't use a doe form, does and bucks are not the same and it'll show. There's no reason a form can't be shaved down to fit, but my suggestion would be to use a different cape. Unless it's something special, it's just hair.
I just noticed the picture you posted. That's a great deer, but man, he's ugly! A new cape will make him look like he should look. To mount it like he looked when you shot him... well, I really think you'll end up regretting it. It just won't look right. But, HellsAngel is right, you have to look at it.
Old 12-18-2009, 12:12 PM
Spike

He was ugly... no doubt about it. He had no meat on him and his belly was bloated (clear full of liquid "you know what") Filled my 5 gal. bucket approx. 1/2 when I gutted him off the tailgate of my truck. (not including the guts) Not sure if he was hit by a car weeks earlier or took an arrow last year late in the season. I told the guy I would call him back in a few days once I decided. I thought a doe form would be easy, but don't want it to look screwed up either. I just thought it would be cool to have a buck with that big of rack and that skinny of a neck. (good story when I get old He didn't even rub off his velvet before I shot him. I was like beef jerky hanging off his rack!
Old 12-18-2009, 06:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Personally I'd hang on to him for next year and keep your eyes peeled for someone killing an early buck with a short cape like that with about an 18-20" neck for that time of year. Otherwise find one to buy in that size with short hair. He is a neat buck but don't go with a 14" neck because if you were you shoulda just used the tiny neck cape it was on. Sick or not that cape looked fine except super skinny. If he was normal he probably would have had an 18-21" neck on him for that time of year so thats whatI would put on him if I did otherwise shouldn't be to hard to find someone with a yearling with a 15-17" neck for you next year early. Contact your local processors at the begging of next bow season and you may be able to get an ealry otherwise expensive cape to buy for a super cheap price. WCL
Old 12-18-2009, 06:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Didn't read your first post quite right. If that what you wanna do and use that cape it should be fine to use. You could use a cous deer or a whitetail doe form and alter a 7 3/4 change out head onto it. It's gonna look wierd but if thats what you want thats what you can do. Otherwise a new cape like a said before with what should have been a normal neck for that deer would be the other route to go. Nothin beats those early capes. To bad he was so sick and skinny cuz that would be a sweat azz mount with a healthy neck. WCL
Old 12-19-2009, 01:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

You may also use a button buck form and a " change out " head.
Old 12-20-2009, 02:52 PM
Typical Buck

i'd mount it on a bigger form with a new cape . we try to give our taxidermist all the extra capes that we can. that way if i happen to need one ,it won't cast me a fortune. i see them on ebay for sale all the time.
Old 12-21-2009, 06:43 AM
Spike

Thanks for all the responses guys... might just use that new cape he's offering so it looks nicer on the wall. I have a ton of pics if ever want to look back to what it really looked like the day I shot it.
Old 12-22-2009, 06:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Van Dykes carry the Bradley Mannikins for small bucks like that , they mount up real pretty if your friend knows what he is doing ?????
There are several other suppliers that carry small buck manikins, I used them regularly, that is a standard Fla Cypress deer size.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.