Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Taxidermy
Would you fix it? >

Would you fix it?

Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

Would you fix it?

Old 12-08-2009, 05:08 PM
Spike

No Way if you fix it you cant even say you shot it because you didn't I think in my opinion that is the dumbiest thing anybody can do to a deer they shoot. Any buck could be a wall mounter with a little fixing by taxidermist. Just as easy to add points as to fix them. Leave it the way you shot it.
Old 12-09-2009, 04:45 PM
Fork Horn

I shot what was my nicest buck at the time a few years ago. I decided he was nice but not nice enough for shoulder mount, I took it to get mounted on a plaque. The tip on the main beam was broken off, maybe an inch. The taxidermist asked me if I wanted him to fix that it wouldn't be no big deal. So I told him yeah go ahead. Well after over a year wait and finally getting it back he never did fix it and I let it go. Now when I look at it I'm glad he didn't doctor it up, because this is the buck I shot. I could see if maybe you happen to fall while dragging it out and you broke it off, then fix it. Or doctor up a bullet hole to make it look natural. But that was his character with the broken tine, a fighter. So I would say accept it and mount the way it is or wait to shoot a perfect rack and then mount.
Old 12-10-2009, 06:20 AM
Fork Horn

beautiful buck. I, personally, would not fix it. Too fake
Old 12-12-2009, 05:56 PM
Fork Horn

I'd have the broken tine repaired.

I shot a 9 pointer with his G2 broken at the base and I'm getting it repaired to what it looked like on the trail camera pictures and video we captured. My memories of him on the video far exceeded the brief two seconds I saw him as he ran by me and cleared the hill. Didn't know his rack lacked the G2 until I crested the hill and found him down.

I'm having him mounted as I saw him in the video, semi sneak with ears to the side; not posed in the running pass by position he presented for the shot.

Last edited by W9ARcher; 12-12-2009 at 05:59 PM.
Old 12-13-2009, 06:28 PM
Typical Buck

Hunting KuK,
I was going to try and get to taxidermy and look it over again, then go from there. It's been a few weeks since I had seen it.
Old 12-16-2009, 02:49 PM
c j
Typical Buck

I'd say leave it alone. As someone else said, if something broke off *after* you shot him, that would be different.
Old 12-20-2009, 11:39 AM
Fork Horn

Leave him as he is, just the way you shot him.
Old 12-26-2009, 07:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Do what makes you feel better. It's going on your wall and it's you that will look at it until you die. People get art work and antiques restored all the time because they want them to look like they did in thei glory days. No different on a deer rack. The point some make about 'you may as well add extra tines" is stupid. You are not doing anything to lie about the deers size. You just want him to look like he did when he grew the rack. It's your choice...
Old 12-27-2009, 06:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

I say its your deer, you harvested him. Mount him the way you want him. There is nothing illegal or wrong with fixing a broken point long as you don't get him officially scored. Thats the only concern to me. If to score or not. I do taxidermy, and have repaired broken points on mounts. I would never add non-existing pts for anyone. The way I see it is that buck roamed the woods with all his pts, and w/o them. Who knows how it got broke. Some hunters have previous trail cam pics of a buck before a pt was broke. So it comes down to personal choice of whether you want him as he was, or as harvested. But its ALL your choice, its YOUR deer!!