Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Taxidermy
Getting the Skull completely clean(pictures added page 2) >

Getting the Skull completely clean(pictures added page 2)

Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

Getting the Skull completely clean(pictures added page 2)

Old 11-04-2009, 03:49 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by rgswildlife
I give up with any advice on this thread. People are reading only what they want to and not reading the whole post.
The post specifically asked about removing remaining tissue, and your "answer" was how you whiten a skull. Maybe you should read the post, because I don't think I'm missing anything.
Daveyrock, the only way to answer your last question without seeing it is, "maybe".
Old 11-04-2009, 04:29 AM
Fork Horn

I will take pictures today and upload them tonight if not sooner. Thanks!
Old 11-04-2009, 04:42 AM
Typical Buck

The post specifically asked about removing remaining tissue, and your "answer" was how you whiten a skull. Maybe you should read the post, because I don't think I'm missing anything.
You have to re-read my post, because it is all about doing the whole job, not just the whitening part. The peroxide is used to remove any meat. It will also remove any meat in any little crevices that you can't reach.

Last edited by rgswildlife; 11-04-2009 at 04:48 AM.
Old 11-04-2009, 05:20 AM
Fork Horn

Where do you buy your; what was it 32% peroxide at? Do you use enough to cover the whole skull and roughly how many gallons does that take? Seems like a lot of peroxide.
Old 11-04-2009, 05:37 AM
Typical Buck

Default Peroxide

Where do you buy your; what was it 32% peroxide at? Do you use enough to cover the whole skull and roughly how many gallons does that take? Seems like a lot of peroxide.
I buy mine at a chemical supply Co (Sidler chemical in Newark NJ). It cost $23 per gallon. It will take between 2-3 gallons to cover the skull. But I do so many skulls that I am always adding more skulls and Peroxide to the mix. When it stops working I use it for cleaning drains. It works better than any else I have tried and the skulls come out clean and white.
Old 11-04-2009, 06:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

i usually use a good fire ant mound to eat all the stuff off the skull...tie wire it to somethin near a fire ant mound so nothin will take off with it.
Old 11-04-2009, 08:23 AM
Fork Horn

Okay snapped some pictures over my lunch break!