Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Taxidermy
How long will i wait >

How long will i wait

Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

How long will i wait

Old 11-01-2009, 09:09 AM
Spike

Default How long will i wait

This is in refrence to how much time a lot of people wait on thier deer heads to get finished at the taxidermy shop..with my taxidermist...i get my heads back aproximatly in one month and one week. And he does a great job!!! Pretty fast huh?..bigbuck killer 29
Old 11-02-2009, 10:40 AM
Typical Buck

This is in refrence to how much time a lot of people wait on thier deer heads to get finished at the taxidermy shop..with my taxidermist...i get my heads back aproximatly in one month and one week. And he does a great job!!! Pretty fast huh?..bigbuck killer 29
I get so much work in my shop it is imposiable to return anything back that fast. Most of the shops that have been around, will tell you the same thing. A new or not busy shop can do those kind of turnarounds. When he gets busy that time frame will increase. I am sure your taxidermist will aggree with me.
Old 11-05-2009, 03:37 PM
Typical Buck

yeah ,most shops that work full time 6-12 months around here.if you have 75-100 deer and 25-30 bear ,plus small game theres no way everyone will get it that fast. my taxi right now still has 5 bear to mount that were killed late season in 08.
Old 11-05-2009, 06:22 PM
Spike

A bad mount will last longer than the short wait or low price!! Bob Driver Bob Driver Wildlife Arts
Old 11-05-2009, 08:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bigbuckkiller29
What is bad is your not getting a properly tanned skin and in 2-3 years your mount will start to lose the hair color and begin to fall apart, can we see a pic of this so called quick mounts ?
Down here if Fla it takes the salted skin 2-3 weeks to dry so that i Can ship to the tannery it takes 3 months to get it back, then it has to be schedule to be mounted weaving through 1500 fish mounts , 300 -400 Bass mounts and other exotic animals.
Old 11-06-2009, 06:08 AM
Typical Buck

it is possible to get a quality mount back in that amount of time. my guy tans his own deer hides,so if he had nothing else to do he could do one in a few weeks. he sends bear hides out to a tannery. if you had your own pressure tanner you could do deer capes very fast and right.
Old 11-06-2009, 11:54 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by srwshooter
it is possible to get a quality mount back in that amount of time. my guy tans his own deer hides,so if he had nothing else to do he could do one in a few weeks. he sends bear hides out to a tannery. if you had your own pressure tanner you could do deer capes very fast and right.
Anything is possible, But IMO, the awnser for "Quality" would be no.. A few weeks is pretty short, few days in pickle, few days in tan, Shaving, mount, drying time, finish work. Pressure tanners are fast, but the tan isnt the same quality of a tannery. had one and sold it. i send everything out. i tell my customers up front dont expect to see it for 8 mos. to a year.