Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Taxidermy
Antler/Skull curing >

Antler/Skull curing

Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

Antler/Skull curing

Old 10-30-2009, 10:16 AM
Fork Horn

Just wondering I have an elk that a friend is doing a antler mount (he does very nice work an free ) now I have the hide from the antlers in the freezer any easy way to cure/tan it ? its only a small piece to fit over base in case I so desire. 40 years ago I used to pickle hides but they sure were difficult to handle
Redclub
Old 10-31-2009, 06:00 AM
Typical Buck

European skull mounts

In my shop I use 35% peroxide. First take off most of the meat and brains, cover the skull not the horns with the peroxide, use rags around the base of the horns so the peroxide can leech up to the underside of the burr. After a week or two (depends on how well you cleaned it) rinse it in dawn dish detergent and water till it comes out clean, place it in the sun to dry. If it is the way you want it, then cover it with modge-podge high gloss and it will be sealed and stay clean forever. If you used bleach the modge-podge will seal the skull and stop the flaking that can go on forever. You can put the skull back into the peroxide as many times as you like, but if you notice the skull is falling apart take it out, you have left it in too long. You will have to glue the teeth into the skull. Never use bleach because it will continue to breakdown the bone forever. We do not boil the skull as most of the time it will fall apart if kept in too long. To restore the color use Potassium Permanganate available from Research Mannikins or Jonas Bros co.

Rich