HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Taxidermy (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/taxidermy-50/)
-   -   What should I do in the event.... (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/taxidermy/292336-what-should-i-do-event.html)

daveyrock 04-20-2009 05:39 AM

What should I do in the event....

That I get a turkey worth mounting??? I know its a long shot that I actually put a turkey down this season but in the event that I actually do kill one and I want to have him mounted, either full mount or lets say a fan tail professionally done. What are the steps I should take from the time I retrieve the bird to taxidermist? Do I clean him myself(skin, gut, etc) or should I leave that up to the taxi? Obviously I am still going to want the meat but I once heard it said that if you were going to mount a bird you should not clean the bird yourself in the chance you mess up the feathers or what not. What do you recommend?

SWThomas 04-20-2009 09:15 AM

RE: What should I do in the event....

I think there's a how-to posted in the Turkey Hunting section...

wingchaser_labs 04-20-2009 09:24 AM

If you are doing a full mount take it to the taxi right away and don't do anythgin to it. They will skin it out and give you your meat back. If you are just doing a tail fan take it to him again right away if he is around or just do it yourself and grab the fan in your hand all tight together and hold it forward so you can see the butt-hole. Cut the skin rigth above the hole and keep going down the back so you get some of those feathers infrom of the fan and then cut it off. Cut the beard and legs off and keepthe fanfolded up tight and take it to the taxi or put it in a plastic bag sealed tight and take it to him when you have time. Another option is a tail/wing mount. This is how I do them..... WCL

FireDiver 04-20-2009 12:41 PM

One more thing to consider....especially if you are planning on a full mount. Once you shoot the bird....get to him ASAP and hold him down to prevent him from flopping around. You need to prevent the damage that can be caused during their death throws.

I shot a turkey several years ago and it did a "bagillion" back flips down a hill before I could get to him. He lost 75% of his tail feathers[:o]

wingchaser_labs 04-20-2009 01:14 PM

ORIGINAL: FireDiver

One more thing to consider....especially if you are planning on a full mount. Once you shoot the bird....get to him ASAP and hold him down to prevent him from flopping around. You need to prevent the damage that can be caused during their death throws.

I shot a turkey several years ago and it did a "bagillion" back flips down a hill before I could get to him. He lost 75% of his tail feathers[:o]
Yeah i typically grab them by the feet right away and hold them in the air stepping on the head while they thrash around with the tail away from me so the breast is towards you. They don't lose any feathers that way. Be careful though cuz one year I took a 1 1/2" spur through my gloves and into my hand between my thumb and finger. Got me good.... Good luck with killin a bird. WCL

daveyrock 04-21-2009 04:24 AM

Thanks guys that is exactly what I needed!!!!