Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Taxidermy
 Average wait for a deer mount >

Average wait for a deer mount

Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

Average wait for a deer mount

Old 03-24-2009, 05:53 PM
Fork Horn

Default Average wait for a deer mount

I took my first trophy deer that I shot to a local taxadermist in November of 2007. I still have not got it back yet. He claims that he has not received the hides back from the tannery in California. We are in Minnesota. Is this guy stringing me along, or is this sound normal? I have not heard any feedback good or badfrom anyone about him. He told me it would take 8-12 months originally. It's now 16 months. Companies name is Zacho's Taxidermy.
Old 03-24-2009, 06:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Average wait for a deer mount

Most tanneries take 3 months during the peak of the season maybe 4 at most. Don't know what to tell ya. Some guys take that long if the are back logged that much but most arent more than a year. Contact the tannery and try to find out would be a start. WCL
Old 03-24-2009, 07:40 PM
Typical Buck

I've taken my deer to the same taxidermist for about 10 years now, he does it full time, and it takes him anywhere from 9 to 12 months. IMO he's one of the best in the upper midwest!

Old 03-25-2009, 05:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

all of our local taxi's are different.. 1 has a 6 month wait, one is about a year, the other is 2 years... I believe the 6 month tans his own hides.. The other 2 ship them off to the commerical tannery.

When we send out hides out ourselves, it is usually about 3 -4 weeks before we get them back.

Old 03-25-2009, 06:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

The guy I use is one of the top guys around nationwide, he sends is hides out to Michagan depending on the time of the hunting season it can take up to 6 months for return and the complete mount done anywhere from 8 months to over one year
Old 03-25-2009, 01:32 PM
Fork Horn

The busiest one's up here in Wi. are about a year, some longer. The one I use only takes what he can do in a year. He does 3 a week.
RC
Old 03-28-2009, 05:00 AM
Typical Buck

my taxi tans all his deer hides .he sends bear hides to the tannery. the guy he uses is only a hour away ,so he can usually get them back alittle faster then most. about the longest i've seen guys have to wait is 8months. i think this year he took in about 80 deer and 15-20 bear ,plus small game. he's been talking about buying a pressure tanner to speed up the whole process.

for my stuff its different,we've hunted together for 25yrs and always been great friends. i make all of his habitat wooden bases for him,in oak or walnut any size he needs. he does my work in trade for bases,so i can get my stuff pretty quick most of the time. i have 2 deer and 2 bear there now.
Old 03-28-2009, 03:53 PM
Fork Horn

You know if the the guy does good work and it takes some time, or his time I'd rather have it done perfect than rushed if that helps. Ive had a bear in for a full mount over a year, it will be sweet when he is home.
Old 03-28-2009, 05:09 PM
Fork Horn

We have a turnover of 8 months. It's not b/c a mount takes 8 months or even 1 month to do for that matter, it's a waiting list for your work.

Think of it like a nightclub....which one is going to be better inside, the one you can walk straight into or the club with lines going over to the next block?
Old 03-29-2009, 05:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

we usually wait between 8-10 months. but its worth the wait because he does an awesome job

Quick Reply: Average wait for a deer mount

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.